Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Aug 6, 2006.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Tires.... What's the difference between radial and bias? What're the pros and cons of each?

2. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No replies overnight??? Stunning!:eek1:

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

****in noob;)

i tried askin a question like this a while ago, and didnt get many responses....i guess most people just run bias and dont care bout radials. i think radials are easier to balance, but dont quote me on that.

ive got 39.5 bias iroks on the k5 that arent balanced and i drove them 280miles on the highway going 75mph and they rode pretty smooth.

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Check out here. Just keep in mind though, they're talking about street tires.

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link, ARAMP1. Good info, but I'm asking this question to make a tire decision for an offroad only rig (need to answer to be geared towards our community, ya know....).

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Bias are more aggressive, clean out better, and louder. Radials ride smoother and have better wear properties on the pavement. Radial TSL's have thinner sidewalls than the bias TSL's.

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

TTT.... Any insight?

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It has to do with how the belts are put in relation to the rotation of the tire. Radials have the belts "radially" in the tire which means they are in the same general rotation as the tire (they are actually at 90 deg to each other but generally around the circumference of the tire), Bias ply are perpendicular to the rotation of the tire. This causes the tire to have less sidewall support therefore the need for a thicker sidewall. Bias also will flat spot but is generally not a concern for an offroad only rig. I intend to run bias ply tires on my rig as some of the larger sizes only come in bias and they are usually cheaper than radials of the same size.

This is how I understand it if I am wrong please inform me so I can be edjucated:D

Ira