Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JROSS, Oct 17, 2001.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I'm picking up my fist Blazer this weekend. Yeh. I was wondering if I could get some help in terminology. Since I'm going from the strip to the rocks for the first time. What exactly does a detroit locker do? I've heard the term to describe rearends but don't understand what it does. Does it work with a stock 10-bolt or do you need a 12-bolt posi?

Thanks

Be Gentle, Its my first time!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5.
    A Detroit. Or it's full name Detroit no spin is a locking differential. A differential is what lets the wheels on the axle spin at differnt speeds so that the vehicle will go around a corner easier. Problem is if your on a slick surface it one tire looses all all traction all the power will go to that wheel.
    This replaces the stock diff with a Diff that when power is applied it locks both wheels together for more traction.
    Available for most axles including the 10 or the 12 but I would not bother buying one for a 10. upgrade to a 12 at least 14 if your planning on going big.
    Tip...learn to wheel without one. you will become a better driver. then add it a year from know.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

How is that different from a posi diff?

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok well you have to understand that when you have an open differential with no limited slip/posi, locker, spool, when 1 wheel has 0 traction all of the power is transfered to that wheel wich is not good. What a posi (same thing as limited slip) does its best to transfer power to the other wheel that has traction.. a locker will lock both wheels together when you give you it and a spool permanantley locks two wheels together forever. Im pretty sure it works with the 10 bolt as well as 12 and 14 and dana's etc. You just have to specify wich kinda axle when you are buying these locker applications.
    Posi's do not generall work well due to the power only being able to be trasnfered to the other wheel up to a certain point rather than half power to one wheel and half pwoer to the other in such a case of a locker.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter and 4.56
    "Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't"

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Posi is a generic term for positraction. There are many different ones available and the Detroit Locker is just one of them.

When thinking of Posi, compare it to V8. Is it a chevy 305? 350? Ford 302? 351? They're all V8s, right?

See what I mean?

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I had a posi in my Camaro, but didn't realize that it still had slip.

Thanks for the info.