Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie questions from an "old timer"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jun 20, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Newbie questions from an \"old timer\"

Dont really have the time to search and I thought I'd throw a couple easy questions out there.

First, crossover steering. Any links to premade kits or ideas on custom hysteer that could be fabbed up in a couple of evenings? I've got the tools, just not much of the understanding of how it all works. Any links? The deal is I've got a big 4x4 run in about 8 days and my current steering box is in need of a rebuild. I hate it anyway, so am looking for something a little beefier and with full range of motion on a budget. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone have a source for those rollcage bushings for the tie in to the frame mounts? Thanks in advance.

Bryan

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Newbie questions from an \"old timer\"

1987-1996 Jeep Wrangler leaf spring bushings fit inside 1 1/2" .120 wall tubing. Energy suspension part # 2.2107. Best I can remember, you get enough bushings in one kit to make 4 supports, they also come with the sleeves for the bolts. The kit also comes with a few larger bushings, but I don't know what they fit. The kit was around $50 bucks. Or you can use these pre made ones.

BIGJ

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

have you tried looking at the stuff on the ORD site? or west texas offroad? I know WTOR has the ram setup, but don't know about the crossover stuff.

You GOTTA make this run!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

These guys sell all kinds of neat little brackets and such for fabricating the parts to tie the roll cage into the frame. http://www.aa-mfg.com/

Click on the Online Parts Catalog link. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks BigJ...I just ordered 4 of those from ORD!

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Harry, they didn't have exactly what i wanted, although I did bookmark that page. They had a lot of cool fab parts for sure!

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah i'm not ready for hydraulic, all I really want is basic crossover to give me lock to lock turns. I figured since my steering box is on the blink anyways and screaming, I'd just get a pass side box and set the links if I can do it in time.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

After looking at prices and my time frame, yall just might have to put up with my wailing steering box. Maybe it'll hold out through the weekend.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the crossover question depends if you need a bent draglink or have the lift for a straight one.
    1.25" .219"wall tubing is near perfect for threading 7/8"-18 for the tierod ends
    which front axle?
    fast eddie from CTS just spent $$$ on a kit for a 44 or 10bolt included knuckles and everything.
    he had some tierod draglink length confusion but the shop (Tellico I think)says they will make good on it.

10. BIGJ

The biggest issue would be the flat top knuckle and steering arm. I have an extra straight draglink you can use if you decide to go ahead and do it. I can bring it with the tires on Saturday.

BIGJ

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I'll do that. And pick your brain on how its set up when I'm there. I can buy the arms and knuckle I think. Then I'd need a 2wd box and what else?

12. BIGJ

You will need a dropped pitman arm, a 2wd box, and the steering arm and flat knuckle. To run tie rod over the axle, it will be more work. I got all of my stuff from ORD. They had everything at one place. Rockstomper also sells crossover steering stuff.

The only issue you may have is the drag link hitting the engine crossmember. I made a new crossmember out of 2" .250 wall square tube. This article dep wrote has some good info on what you need too. My crossmember is very similar to his.

BIGJ

13. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

You could give Damon at Toybox a call, i know that hes working on a crossover kit which will move the tie rod up and reuse the draglink ends, don't know about cost but, it sounded like a pretty good kit when i heard about it.