Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie questions...please help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dsmd58, Apr 20, 2007.

1. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

Yes Im a newb too....kinda long but gimme a hand!

I just bought a 89 burb from a guy locally and had some quick questions so you guys could point me in the right direction on ANY of these things...so here goes.

1 - d60/14blt 4.56 gears - what is the largest safe tire size to run with this combo? i want to replace the A/T tires with some 39-40 inch swampers but am concerned about strength. i am already looking into crossover steering or just replacing the 4x4 steering box if i stay with 35's (cause the steering box seems really tired as it is), but at what size should i get a hydroboost system as well and is the gearing ok for 39 inch tires?

2 - he changed the 14blt rear to disc brakes off a 99 k2500, but the brake pedal goes to the floor. it stops but it has to reeeeaaallly travel before anything catches. is this common with that switch or where should i start looking for issues.

3 - on a 39.5 15inch wide swamper, can a 15x10 8 lug rim work? or do i need to go to a 12 inch wide rim?

thanks guys! i know that $25 fee was well spent just on these two questions alone!!!

pete

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

15X10- yes according to tirepackage.com

D60/14 stout enough. Might need to regear depending on engine tranny combo and RPM ranges. I have 4.56 now and might go to 5.13s with the big meats when I get them.

As for the brakes, I am/was having the same prob with brake travel. I thought I had them blead good but front bleeders were completely stopped up with dirt and grime. I had to drill it out and rebleed.

Not sure about crossover or hydo boost, I am still with the D60's little brother D44:( . Hoping to find a D60 at the beginning of hte summer.

Oh yea, welcome aboard! And the guys are going to want some pics of your rig.

3. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

wow, thats good to know...at least i can run them on the same rim. i guess i just have to worry about backspacing going from a 12.5 to a 15inch wide tire...right?

im hoping all i need to do for "now" is replace the 4x4 steering box because i dont have the money to invest in a crossover or hydroboost setup...

4. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Does it have 15's now? if not you may have to grind the front calipers to make them fit.

5. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

yeah it has 15s on it now....just worried about the back spacing on the rims still...is there a way to measure this before I go to the 39" tires? Its a long haul where im going to pick them up, and if i need to bring another set of rims id like to figure that out before hand!

oh yeah, 5" spring lift only, i guess i should plan on cutting fenders right away huh?

thanks for all your help guys!...keep it coming!

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As far as the brakes: Bleed the entire system. If that does not work the master cylinder may be bad. Look at where the MC is bolted to the brake booster. Is there any brake fluid leaking?

7. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In general, a 30 spline alloy shaft will work well with 35" tires, depending on your use, the 33 spline SF shafts in the 14 bolt 9.5" axle are good for a 38-40" tire and the 14FF 30 spline shafts are good for just about anything you want to do with them. These shafts laugh at 44" tires. The 14FF 30 spline is about 1 9/16" diameter, this is MUCH larger than the 30 spline for the 10/12 bolt."[/FONT]

This is straight off the offroaddesign website. They are talking about using their aftermarket alloy shafts though, NOT stock shafts. So you may have the potential to break some stock shafts on the 14BSF with that big of meats, but it also depends a ton on what kind of terrain you run and how hard you are on the skinny pedal. Also, remembe that unlike the fullfloating version, if you break a shaft on the semifloating version you will lose a wheel.

Welcome aboard and show us some pics (full body, axles, engine, flexin, mud). Also, check in the suburban board and introduce yourself.

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Almost forgot, do you have a proportioning valve on the brake system (some buy them, some say they come stock)? I've read where that can help adjust your brakes since your stock master isn't designed for rear disc. Do a search on disc brake conversion and you'll find more info than you know what to do with.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  9. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

WOW, what a ton of info....I will do that. Someone else suggested upgrading the mc/booster to a 3/4 or 1 ton version.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just checking, but i'm going to assume that someone swapped in a D60 front as a suburban never came with a D60.

A D60/14ff will accept any tire you can throw at it.

11. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

that is correct....