Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie questions, yes I searched

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ncbloodhound, Jan 3, 2004.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

I am new to blazers and working on vehicles, so please bear with me... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1. What are idler pulleys for? Belt tension? Mine has several flat spots on it and I was wondering it could be causing the squeaking and shuddering when idling. My chilton's manual doesn't say anything about it.

2. This one might sound stupid but...the tailgate on my blazer stops about 10 degrees from being parallel to the ground is that normal? I don't see how it could go down any further without hitting the bumper.

Thanks!

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. idler pullys are for shortning the length that your belt runs from one main pully to another to help control belt flop that leads to throwing a belt(belt comes off) also most idler pullies are adjustible and are used to make the belt adjustment, on most of our trucks it is the brackets that are adjustible.

2. My tailgate comes down about level with the ground, maybe just a little bit higher at the top of the gate. Your tailgate would have to fall down a long waise for it to hit the bumper. It will only go down as far as the straps will let it. I'm sure your tailgate is fine if it comes down almost all the way to level.

3. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. idler pullys are for shortning the length that your belt runs from one main pully to another to help control belt flop that leads to throwing a belt(belt comes off) also most idler pullies are adjustible and are used to make the belt adjustment, on most of our trucks it is the brackets that are adjustible.

2. My tailgate comes down about level with the ground, maybe just a little bit higher at the top of the gate. Your tailgate would have to fall down a long waise for it to hit the bumper. It will only go down as far as the straps will let it. I'm sure your tailgate is fine if it comes down almost all the way to level.

[/ QUOTE ]

So should I replace the pully if it has flat spots all over it?

Also, I will post a pic of my tailgate, because it just doesn't look right. Maybe the cables are too short?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

So should I replace the pully if it has flat spots all over it? Also, I will post a pic of my tailgate, because it just doesn't look right. Maybe the cables are too short?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have never seen a a pully with "flat spots" all over it. I bet you just need new belts. I have no idler pullies on my truck and I don't think any GM trucks do for that matter. Al we have is basically main pullies which are crank pulley, altenator, A/C, powersteering, waterpump, smog pump. I have never seen one with an idler only pulley.
    If your tailgate has never been messed with and the straps are stock than they aren't too short. If it still doesn't seem right go ahead and post a pic. Like I said my tailgate doesn't sit totally flat when fully down either.

5. rekvehicle

rekvehicle Registered Member

Your idler pulleys should be perfectly round where the belt rides.If there are flat spots the bearings in the pulley may be sticking causing wear from the belt on the pulley and premature failure of the belt.RV

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've seen the belt tensioner pulleys get flat spots as they start to wear down. The only ones I've seen this on have been plastic. If this is the pulley you're talking about it's time for a change... I haven't seen one cause a shudder at idle but it's pretty hard to diagnose through the computer.