Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chopperhead, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Newbie

Ok well like it says im a newbie. ive been reading threw alot of posts on here and ive managed to just confuse myself. so i'll just ask you guys for some clarification.

ok well first of what the heck is a shackle flip??

whats a zeroleaf??

how do you extend a drive shaft?? to me i thought I would need to just buy a longer one as i dont see how you can extend a solid shaft without cutting it up and loosing it's structural intgity?

also how can someone with only a 4 or 6in lift be able to clear tires that people with larger 8in lifts can't?? I seen some of the pics in that what your truck will look like thread and it doesnt make much sense to me how one truck thats much lower has bigger tires trouble free and larger truck has trouble.?? I ask cause I wanna make sure I do the right thing for I wanna do eventually and arnt dissapointed.

Thanks
    Kyle

2. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

shackle flip
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

zerorate
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm

and as for fitting diffrent tires with diffrent lifts its all in the:hack:and the:grind: it depends on how much you trim

hope this helps

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Check out DIY4x and Offroad Design.

Welcome

Larry

4. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

Driveshafts aren't solid--they're hollow. To extend a driveshaft, one just cuts the ends off and welds in a longer tube. Welcome...

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard...I had all the same questions...you will soon have all of your answers, and new questions ta boot...lots of well informed people around here (not me, but others)...welcome

7. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Newbie

lol I know they are hollow I ment wouldnt welding on an extra piece to it just create a big weak point in the shaft and be prone to snapping,warping whatever??? especially when it comes to big 4x4's with huge tires and gobbles of torque??

oh and thanks for the help so far guys. Ive asked questions on other forums before and nobody ever wants to help. so thanks.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

You would never be able to get it straight or to balence which would cause lots of other issues. And yes you would create a weak spot in the shaft. If your yokes are good and you don't needto change to a CV joint or anything else on the shaft you just cut your ends off and weld them back on to a tube of the proper length. This is the only way to "re-tube" a shaft and haveit perform well

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5. Your best source of info around here, in the first instance is the 'search' feature. Just about everything you could want to know will be hiding away in the archives somewhere. And if you don't understand what you read....ask! We'd all be glad to help!