Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MN220_3, Feb 16, 2002.

1. MN220_3

MN220_3 Registered Member

Couple min away from Parkersburg West Virginia
    Hi I want to get a K5 and I have some probably stupid questions.
    1. Do all the years have the convertable hardtop?
    2. Do they come in 2wd or just 4x4?
    3. Automatic or Standard?
    4. Is there alot of aftermarket support?
    Thanks for any info, Mike

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

There are no stupid questions. How else are ya gonna learn?
    1) I believe so.
    2)Both
    3)Both
    4)Tons, heaps lots...

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
    I know, a cheap way to pad my posts.lol!

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Ok, brother, here's the scoop:

1. Fill in your profile a bit better. One of us could live right around the corner...[​IMG]

2. Don't be afraid to use the "Search" option. That's the best way to answer some of your questions.

But I'll help you out seeing that you're brand new here......[​IMG]

1. The early models(69-72) have a full removable top while the second gen Blazers only had the half top.

2. There are both 2WD models and 4x4s out there, but I would say that 4x4s are easier to come by.

3. Both auto and standard are available.

4. There are tons of sources of aftermarket parts, both OEM and modiified.

I hope that helps you out......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

5. MN220_3

Thanks for the help

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just to clarify on the convertible top thing......ALL of the '69 - '72 K5s are FULL convertibles (open from windshield frame back).....the '73 - '75? models were also full convertibles, but have the new larger body style.....'76 was the first year where the K5 had a metal roof over the front seats, and only the rear section was removeable.....that is how the rest were produced also through '91

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is whether the hardtop started in '75 or '76. Someone else can chime in on that.

Another suggestion......try the Members Rides area.....it's got LOTS of photos of K5's and you will quickly be able to figure out what body styles you like. If you're using Netscape it may not work, so use MS Explorer just to be safe. [​IMG]

Welcome to the group.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

One thing else 2nd gen also had full convertable 73-75 then In 76 they started with the half top....

8. Can Can

Sorry guys......my bad[​IMG]!!!!

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

welcome aboard man...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I love my fully topless 74! In my opinion fixing up a fully topless K5 is better than buying a clean newer one with the half a$$ed removable hard top. Either way your going to spend money fixing it up. I say let the sun shine in and if it rains get wet, I do. To me wheeling is about going outdoors, what do you need with a roof and ac, my rig doesn't even have heat, though I plan to finish fixing that someday.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

11. Can Can

You guys in Arizona don't really need heaters - I dare you to come up here and try driving around with no heat in December.[​IMG]

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome Dude!
    First gen's are where it's at! 69-72!

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Why do you think I live here. Canada is interesting though, it seems that you have more freedom up there than us in the "Land Of The Free". If Hillary ever gets elected President I may have to fix the heat, buy a soft top and immigrate up north.

14. MN220_3

I was kinda thinking on getting a 88-91 because I seen most of the parts in magizines where for those years.
    What Trucks have the same parts?

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MN220,

You still need a little more "profile" work....like hey, what's your name? [​IMG].....I guess I can keep calling you MN220, but it would be nice to eventually call you by your real name.....

Anyway, don't be fooled by the ads in the magazines....one of the BEST reasons to own a Chevy truck over some other manufacturers is that the parts are WIDELY interchangeable, and the aftermarket parts availibility is HUGE. The magazines will tend to push the "newer" models maybe just to show that they've got stuff for the newest trucks......

Anything from '73 up will be EASY to find parts for (sheetmetal, drivetrain, restorationn stuff, performance)...the 1st Gen ('69 - 72) can sometimes be a little more difficult (more $$$) for some body parts, but the running gear is similar to everything else.

The key is to just find the body style you like (Early vs. Late, Full Convertible vs. Half Cab) and then GO FOR IT......!! The parts will be there to fix it.....and CK5 will be here to answer your questions!!!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

16. MN220_3

Hi my name is Mike and I like Chevys (lol)

Anyways I like the 88-91 half tops. I know almost all of you guys and gals lift your trucks and all, But I really don't want to do that. I'm not gonna go offroad other than some gravel roads to get to my friends and family's houses.

What I would like to do is find a Blazer that the body is in pretty good condition to have as a play toy.

It doesn't matter if it is 2wd or 4wd, auto or Standard. I want to make it a street truck more than an offroad truck. Like lower it, a cowl hood, and things like that. Sorry if I offended anyone by wanting a street truck.

17. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

They are a lot harder to find but they are out there, but i would get a 69-72 2wd if you want to make it a street truck. that way you dont have the front axle dragging along the speedbumps and its a lot less to worry about when fixing. and its a full convertable. aftermarket parts are easy to find, just look in the street truck mags.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, dana 60,4.56's, (sometime soon flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

18. MN220_3

Are the 88-91 C/K trucks the same as 88-91 Blazers? I mean the frontend like headlights, grills, and bumpers. Also are the rear bumper and taillights the same?

19. Greenblazer-AZ

Hey mike there is a forum just for the two wheel drive guys on this site. Just please, please don't lower a 4x4. In my opinion lowered 4x4 rigs are extreemly stupid looking, but a lowered two wheeler is ok if that's your thing. Why would you want a truck that can't go over a speed bump when you could have one that that could go over a mountain. The fascination for lowriders eludes me.

20. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

mike no way man! haha in 88 the c/k pickups changed body styles and had IFS. stay away from em! The 88-91 blazer/suburban had the new grille but same body style as previous ones. Also a minor body change occurred in 79 I believe, giving it a new front end.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.