Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by champsjimmy, Nov 5, 2003.

1. champsjimmy

champsjimmy Registered Member

I just picked up a '72 Jimmy in Texas and I have some questions for the experts. This truck has a stop bolted to the frame behind the drivers side front shackles. Can this be removed for longer (taller) springs? Also the early Dana 44 front has smaller u-joints - is there enough clearance for new shafts with bigger u-joints? The body on my Jimmy is in great shape, but I want to beef up the drive train a little to go with 33" or 35" tires.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome dude! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Fill out your profile some more when you have time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The stop bolted on the frame behind the drivers side shackle is a stop for the leaf spring shackle... the shackle will bottom out on that preventing your front suspension from completely compressing and possibly breaking the ujoint on your front driveshaft... I put 6" springs on the front of mine and still have that shackle bumpstop in place, i know some guys have taken that out and it might allow a little more flex.
    You might also notice a strap welded on the very front leaf spring hanger on the drivers side... i think that was a recall or something they did on k5's around 1970, i'm sure someone else knows...

The 1st vs 2nd design D44 axle shafts have been discussed recently, you might try a search in the garage?
    Basically, I broke a first design axle and when it came time to change it out, i realized the 2nd design axle shafts won't work. Also 10 bolt front and D44 axles aren't interchangable so make sure you know what you're getting.
    If you upgrade to the larger axle shafts and ujoints, you will also have to grab the 2nd design spindles, and hub/rotor assembly with the larger wheel bearings...
    The outer stub shaft has a larger raised part that rides in the back of the spindle, the spindle itself is bigger, and so is the hub and the wheel bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Did the 2nd design D44's come about in 1977?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Had it on my 70. Cut it off when I added the longer shackles and 2" tuff country springs.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I use the high strength axle shafts in the front of mine with the bigger joints and full circle clips and they fit just fine. Never tried to put a set of OEM shafts in though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I did run the stock setup with 35s for quite some time though. Never had a huge issue.
    I too still have the shackle stop in place...

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I can tell you how my situation worked out...
    I did not have to swap out the spindals like Ryan B did to get the larger 297 ujoint axel shaft in, basically it was a direct swap for me.
    The 297 size axels started in 1973, my k5 is a 72 but I do know GM had alot of changes that were for the 73 and up but started using some of the 'newer' stuff on late production 72 modles, like mine, October 1972.This 'may' be why my spindals worked??
    I now run Warn CMolly axelshafts with CTM Ujoints.
    Good Luck