Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie <?>'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ksu1998, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ksu1998

ksu1998 Newbie

Newbie <?>\'s

Greetings guys, looks like you all have a fine forum!

I picked up a 87 K5 to turnover for a profit, but now have found I love the thing. SO what do I need to look for or service&gt;?

87' 56K on new motor, 4K on reblt Tranny, has Warn lockouts, new radiatior, Fresh 33"s...pic on my website(pg3)

Is the loose steering I have noticed normal?? it's not bad just moves me around a little in the lane I am in, I have 144K on the truck so I was thinking "Yep"

I plan on learning alot about this truck through you guys, so thank you in advance.

Dale

2. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Re: Newbie <?>\'s

Greatings and Welcome. Congratulations on owning the best all-around offroad/daily driver on the planet. I will now introduce you to your new best friend, The Search Button /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If it has ever broken /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, bent /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, twisted /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, rusted /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif or failed /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, some poor fool on this list has posted the fix /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, repair /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif or work around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

That being said try searching steering box, 10 bolt axle and 700r4.

Then you need to ask yourself, "now that I have the best darn truck that chevy ever made what do I want do do with it?" Your answer will help you narrow your search for "problem" areas. If your idea of wheeling is curb-jumping at the mall /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif your "fixes" will be different than if you like do drive where angels fear to tread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Hope this helps

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

K-State fan huh? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They have a tendancy to wander. no track bar and high miles. Some play can be adjusted out of the Steering box. Top of the box you will see a alen bolt with a lock nut around it. Put allen key in and lossen lock nut and give the allen about half a turn and tiighten the nut. That's should be plenty of preload on the sector shaft. It can have to much and half a turn with that kind of miles should be about right.

You can find a little more info if you hit that search button at the top. THe defualts are for like a week and just the forum you were in when you hit the search button. you can change the to sears all and you can search the total data base from the forums for the last 2.5 years (this site has on avaged 2.5 million hits per month so that will keep you busy for a couple hours /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
    Also look into the ORD steering brace. www.offroaddesign.com Does wonders to stiffen up the frame at the box. Orange members get a discount at ORD.
    Welcome to the addiction
    Hit that Offcamber4x4 button that pops up in the banner adds. That is CK5's sister site and K5 orriented gear.

5. ksu1998

ksu1998 Newbie

Thanks guys, I have already found some great info on what I was wondering about by searching posts. Yes I am a KSU fan and Grad.

The links given were very helpful.

I am ready for some more snow....

D

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to CK5. Check the site out and see what everybody is doing with thier trucks. You might find some ideas you'll like. Search is a good thing, but doesn't always answer everything, so don't be afraid to ask something. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You'll probably get information overload there is so much stuff here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif