Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie, sorta

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Trigger Creep, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Trigger Creep

Trigger Creep Registered Member

This is my 4th K5/V1500. I finally found another to replace a cherry 88 that was stolen from me in Memphis. Man I miss that truck. So, the 97 Land Cruiser is on the sales block. Its a super nice truck, but I'm a Blazer guy.

Anyhow, the newest is an 89 with 64K and so stock its painful. I think the oil in the orig shocks solidified. I need some help to catch up on what is still available and what may be new accessories and mods.

[​IMG]

This one will be a DD, and will rarely see off-road, other than a manicured trail. I need better shocks. I've had coil-overs and air shocks on others. Whats the latest shock treatment - maybe something to soften the ride a bit? Yeah, go ahead and laugh, I'm just more into paved road trips. My favorite herniated disc also dictates a certain amount of comfort these days.

Any monoleafs out there?

Also, the stock hvac fan is woefully weak. Any advancements in aftermarket blower fans?

Electric cooling fans to replace the belt driven fan. Whats best? Any radiator/fan combo's I should know about?

I also want to get rid of the somewhat square Wild Country's. I talked to the tire saleman at Costco tonight, only to find out they will not mount oversized (31" or larger) sized tires on the Blazer. They will mount them on loose wheels, but won't even sell road hazard on them. But, they would be happy to mount 235/70/15's on my truck. Sorry, I don't need roller skate sized tires. They lost my business tonight.

I used to run 31" Michelin LTX on my 88 and 91. Any new designs out there that will still balance out?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know the bilsteins are really considered top notch shocks, but you'll pay for them. I am in the same boat, I will be removing the front quad shock setup and going towards a better single front shock, not sure what's really best to soak up the crummy washboard roads I end up traveling on for short stretches. Anything to dampen the solid axle feel right? :) You do get spoiled riding around in newer vehicles when it comes to everyday bumps and jostles.

The AC setup fans are typcially pretty good setups. They are probably 50% more effective than the standard fans used in non-AC rigs. I've seen nothing as a bolt in replacement that is supposed to be even better. Make sure though that the blend doors are working right, it may be that the blend doors are stuck or inoperative, and you aren't getting the air moving in the direction it should be. That is fairly common. Rodents also tend to build nests in the heating/cooling ducts in certain areas of the country, that can slow things down, and stink things up.

Electric cooling fans are not going to help any unless the stock clutch one is bad. Stock clutch fan is generally regarded as the best for all around use. Deep water fordings and what not can be an issue with them, but that doesn't sound like it's in your future.

With stock wheels, (stock wheel specs being very important) the largest/widest tire you can *probably* (lots of variation rig to rig) fit is going to be a 32x11.5R15. Not that bad of a tire.

The largest diameter you will fit (again probably) is a 33x10.5R15 of which BFG is the only(?) major tire maker to offer. Those come in both AT and MT. Great tires, long lasting, good tread patterns, but yes, narrow to some. No narrower than the 31's you like though, and taller which fills the wheelwel very nicely. Discount tire for one (tires.com) sells these, but since tire fitment is critical and not the same for all, it pays to deal with someone that will take them back if they rub. Discount offered that for me, but mine don't rub at any time. No one else that has tried them on these trucks has ever reported that they rubbed either.

3. Trigger Creep

Trigger Creep Registered Member

*I know the guys with 90's Corvettes install a different year GM vent fan. Its longer and requires a spacer to install. Has anyone here tried other fans than stockers?

*I'm surprised! I've done a lot of resto-drivers and the clutch fan is the first thing to go. Electrics are lighter, allow the heater to work faster and a 2 stage will keep engines, especially hipo engines cooler. A 4 core radiator, oil and tranny cooler goes in too.

I have had water up to the mirrors on previous K5's, but this one might tip-toe a few streams. ;)

I've never seen a better looking wheel onthe K5 than the old stamped steel painted wheel and beauty ring. The 60's-70's Corvette wheels look food, but they're very similar to the K5 wheel. Nothing else looks right to me. I will probably not go over 32'' tires.