Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie stering question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA91Blazer, Mar 6, 2001.

1. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Hi Guys (and Gals) - Lot of great info here hoping you can help with this simple question. I just got my 91 blazer 78K orig mile and a 100K 5 year warranty on the motor, trany, and xfer case for an extra $1K! As part of my warranty had to have it serviced by a shop. While they had it on the rack I asked them to check the steering linkage components. I knew the steering is shot because its pretty loose on the highway, about 3-4 inches of steering wheel play. Well he told me that the Blazer has a Tie rod that goes front to back( Drag Link?) and that the rear tie-rod end is shot. Now to the question. I am planning a 4-6" lift this summer when funds permit, but i need to do someting about the steering now. I dont want to buy parts now that i am just going to replace in a few months. Can i install the heavy duty drag link and drop steering arm now without the lift? What are the steering performance issues involved.I also plan on replacing the stock tie-rod with a rock rod with heavy duty ends as well.

Many more questions to follow, hehe

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You can install the Rock Rod now with new ends as well as the drag link ends. If your going the 4" route the only thing you will need is to replace the stock steering arm with a raised steering arm, everything else stays the same.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Are the ends the same on the tie-rod as they are on the drag link? What are the best ends to use? Should I replace the drag link for one with an ofsett for lift?

LAblazer

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You know I haven't replaced my drag link ends in a long time, so I don't remember, but I would say they are different but not sure, you can call Napa to see if the part numbers are the same or not. With just a 4" lift I would just go with the raised steering arm.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The tie rod and drag link ends are all DIFFERENT. If I were you and you were going to a 4" lift, get brand new drag link ends and the sleeve to join them together. The new sleeve will make your day easier on the installation. Also get the raised steering arm (not dropped) for this 4" lift.
    If you are going with a 6" lift, get the same new drag link components and either a 6" raised steering arm like from Skyjacker, or the 4" raised arm and a 2" drop pitman arm, also from Skyjacker. My preference is to use the 4" steering arm and the 2" pitman arm for 6" lift kits. I always install a brand new drag link whenever working with steering components such as the steering arms and pitman arms. Make sure when you complete the lift, to take it and get it aligned at a shop.