Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie to cb's, need some info

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by bad andy, Mar 26, 2003.

1. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

newbie to cb\'s, need some info

my friend gave me his cobra 148 gtl. i've never owned or used a cb bfore. could someone explain to me how basically how it works? i mean i know how to tune it into different channels and talk to people derr, but what do all the knobs and switches do, like voice lock and dynamike. and what does USB and LSB stand for? any help would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: newbie to cb\'s, need some info

[ QUOTE ]
    my friend gave me his cobra 148 gtl. i've never owned or used a cb bfore. could someone explain to me how basically how it works? i mean i know how to tune it into different channels and talk to people derr, but what do all the knobs and switches do, like voice lock and dynamike. and what does USB and LSB stand for? any help would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Dynomike is your mike gain. Turn it up all the way. USB is Upper Sideband, LSB is Lower Sideband. Voice Lock is probley the Clarifier. You use that to tune someone in on sideband. Hope that helps out.

3. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

yea that helps, thanks man. whats the difference between low and high sideband?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can only talk to someone if they are set on the same as you. Most people around here on sideband run on Lower Sideband. Lower 38 is a good channel for shooting skip.

5. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

alright thanks for your help man, if i have any more ?'s i'll PM you