Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie to junkyards/14B FF Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DougK20, Apr 7, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a 14B FF w/4:10's. I found a couple at some local junkyards. They seem to average $350 with 60-day warranties. I'm going to check them out this week. Since I've never bought anything at a junkyard, what do I need to be aware of? What do I need to inspect on the axle? How can I ensure it has decent brakes. I Don't want to dump a bunch of $$$ into it afterwards. Except a Detroit, of course! Thanks in advance for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i actually found a 14bff this weekend with 4:10's , but i
    need 3:73's to match my front. anyways , the guy told
    me that he wanted $500.00 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. i laughed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifand
    started walking out. he stopped my and asked how much
    would i pay. i told him $200.00 . he soo angrily accepted
    my offer. too bad all he had was the one with 4:10s.
    i will keep looking. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would pay no more than $200

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I found 2 I like, 1 is a 3/4ton with 4.10s like I want and the guy wants $375(crazy), the other is a 1 ton that they want 300 for. I figured though that by the time I regear my dana 44, move spring perches, buy spring plates seperate, and move shock mounts I will spend more than $375. I will just run 35s instead of 37s like I was planning, thats alright I don[t plan on the k5 staying in its present form past this summer so whatever I do will be changed again.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Doug look for a private party selling one of these axles and use the wrecking yards as a last resort only. You should be able to find a good 14 bolt for $100-200 as a worst case. If you are patient you may even find one for FREE.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is why we need ot try harder to snag the trucks that potentionally could end up in the hands of yards, leave notes with trucks and such that appear to be left parked for long periods of time, most the time i find that the ppl wil sell cheap and parked them cuz of gas milage issues, youd be surprised,,., its definitely worth the time and trouble to write out notes and at least that way the trucks and or parts of them be not wasted as much as probably would be in a yard.

thats my philosophy anyways,, right or wrong.. ?

i suppose this is why i have had a million vehicles in this short eight year run of being of legal driving age,, i never thought any of what has happened ever would, i proved myself wrong,. i have saved way more parts from scrap than i ever thought could be, and thats just in a small corn field town area here

good luck