Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie wants a K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 22, 2000.

Greetings!!
    I currently have a 99 2DR 4WD Tahoe LT and I am selling it.

I want to buy a older model that I can use/abuse and not have to worry about scratches, dents etc.

Not that familar with the details on K5's and I don't care enough about the finer points and specs. I just want a 2DR 4WD that looks good and is reliable.

What year models, trim packages, etc. should I be looking for??? Thanks for the insight. kc

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well you should give a little more info. Do you want the old body style 69-72 with a full convertible top? Do you want a 73-75 one with a full convertible? Do you want one with electronic fuel injection instead of a carb? Do you want to tow and get the good milage of a diesel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. That's good info. I honestly HAVE NO IDEA about all the different features of the various year models.

What year models were available as a convertible?
    What engines/sizes were historically more reliable?
    How did the early EFI systems rate compared to the carbs?
    What trim packages had what features?

My usage and specs: to be used as an everyday vehicle, used to go up to the North GA mountains to go camping, kayaking etc., enough power to pull a small/med boat or a motorcycle trailer with 2 bikes.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm sure the guys will add to my thoughts, but here is some info to start with -
    1.First generation body style - 69-72 - full removable top, very few "options" such as power anything
    2.New generation body - with fully removable top - 73-75 - not much in the way of "options" either
    3.New generation body - with half removable top - 76-91
    4.Fuel injection began in '87
    5.All years have basically the same motor (all factory were small blocks), most will have the 350, some in the late 70's will have a 400 (my favorite, big surprise) [​IMG], early 80's to mid/late eighties will have the 305 (underpowered)......
    6.Trim packages - anything from 80 on with a Silverado badge has most all power options, power doors, windows, cruise, etc. My 79 has everything also as a Cheyenne option......not sure about earlier years tho.
    7.The 87 EFI trucks are wonderful, much better than the mid to up to 87 "computer controlled carbs". Bud of mine had one and almost sledgehammered it one night.

LOTS of info to learn.........I only gave you a tidbit, a good way to learn more is to read as many posts as you can........anything that interests you is a good place to start. Steve Fox, our fearless leader, has truck specs on the main site http://www.coloradok5.com that tells you what rearends, motors, trannies they all came with. Good tool to use also..............enough already from me, that double mocha at 4 this afternoon has me fingers a tapping away.........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well 87-91 had TBI simular to your 99 and if your looking for a newer one that would be the one to get. The Down side is the 10 bolt rear and the 208 case. There were a few in the AJC last sunday :) What I concider the best mechanicly factory K5 for off roading was 80 and 72. They had 205 cases and 12 bolt rear but no overdrive. The full convertables were from 69-75. A 72 K5 with a 205 is a very desirable one to have but all the 70's models were prone to rust especially the full converts. Watch out for the rust in the belly pans and rockers. There is a Deisel K5 that is built up near Ellijay that looks pretty tough...it's about 82-84
    check out www.gbr4wd.com if your looking for a club to run with...few of us on here are with them

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you don't want the government messing with what you do to it go with a 73 or older as they would be smog exempt in most states. Once you ride in a full convert you'll want one.

Topless73

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like he's less concerned with ultimate beef and more concerned with daily driver, so I'd recommend a 87-91 Blazer.
    -- Mike

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And I will reccomend a Diesel since they go forever, with the proper maintienance, and they get great mileage!! Plus...YOU CAN PULL A HOUSE!!! My "tank" says that it tips the scale at 6250lbs...can you find me another vehicle that has that much, runs like crap and still gets a mere 27 mpg?!?!?!
    Oh and did I mention if you get a snorkel and move the exaust they will go UNDERWATER?!?!?
    SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com