Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie welder question!!

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by GaBnn3, Nov 9, 2005.

1. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

I never attempted to weld at all, never mind body panels. But, I can't afford a body shop. I knew nothing about welders, so I carefully read the Eastwood catalog, then bought their small arc welder, with the stitch welder accessory. Their sales ad claims it can weld panels as thin as 24 ga. In reading the posts here, I see that MiG welders are recommended by others. I need to weld a salvage yard left quarter panel in to replace my rusted one. I'll have to cut it out below the side rear window, both inside and out, then weld in the replacement panel, with wheel and tire wells. Will the arc welder work, or did I make a mistake? Also, any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Flying blind.

2. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I have tried one of the Eastwood stitch welder attachments a few years ago, and unfortunately I don't think that is a good way to go on body panels. I would say that you need to find a mig to do it. A little 110V mig would work great for this (I have a Lincoln HD3200 I used on my body work on my car resto). I would also say that you must have gas, and not just flux core. It is not cheap to get even a small MIG setup, but they are nearly irreplacable for these applications.
    You could TIG it also, but that is even more costly, and requires a lot of skill. The cheapest way I can see doing this repair well would be to gas weld it using a small portatorch. It does require skill, and will be difficult to get into tight spaces.
    I hope this helps. Maybe someone else has had better luck with the stitch welder attachment.
    Joshua

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I would definitely use a mig welder. I love mine. flux core (without gas) and/or solid (with gas). I used both. Gas works better. I'm an amateur welder. If you need help I'm local. E-mail me. I'm not good at looking at my messeges on here.

4. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

painterbccc

You are right the only way to go is with mig and gas. I got a hobart for my shop. On sheetmetal it is the only way to go. It cost more but for the way your work turns out. You just about have to go mig/gas set up.

5. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

also, cut out the rust and THEN cut the replacement panel to match as closely as possible to what's missing. otherwise you'll be doing a lot of this :doah: :mad::grind:

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Holyoke Mass hey. I got a friend down their that has a fairly new mig setup that he hasn't even taken out of the box. His name is Paul Regish and he runs an accounting firm down their with his dad. If you know him at all talk to him about giving his welder a test run. He needs a good excuse to use it and maybe helping you out would be that excuse.
    If you do see him tell him Nate sent you and ask him how his buggy is coming :) He has been working on dreaming up a buggy for two years now.

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

hi nate. i'm nate.:haha: