Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Welder questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigred85, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

I want to learn how to weld. I have never seen a welder, touched a welder, used a welder. I do not know anybody that can weld.
    what is the best way to teach myself.
    I need a rear bumper/tire carrier and rock sliders, but I do not have the funds to purchase them, so I figured maybe I could just make some.

Thanks in advance.

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Probably cheaper to buy them if you plan on buying your own equipment. Won't give you that sense of satisfaction though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    There are at least 4 courses a year that teach welding for adults, night clases. This is only in tows that touch me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, local community college. Thats what Im gonna do. If you can't start classes or afford classes soon, try going to the public library to find books on welding. If nothing else, you'll have a heads up on the theoretical stuff before the classes start...

j

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got a lincoln electric 240 AC/DC welder for free.. (from father) and he said.. when you fire it up and start welding.. if it sounds like frying eggs then you are doing it right!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The community college route is what I initally decided to try, but they weren't going to teach me the processes I wanted to learn (specifically TIG) so I just bought a couple of books from Amazon.com and did some reading....

I would probabaly recommend you focus on MIG welding. It's probably the simplest type of welding to learn, and fairly inexpensive. For the type of projects you're considering MIG will be a perfectly good choice. The main thing to do when you get your welder is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! Get a bunch of scrap metal (which they will sell you by the pound) from a local steel supplier and mess around with the various settings on the welder. The main thing with MIG is setting the machine to get proper penetration in the weld. If there's a downside to MIG, it's that you can do a "pretty looking" weld that actually has NO strength.

Once you start welding, you can post pics of the welds here, and people will tell you what they observe about them. You'll be surprized how much people can teach you just by looking at welds in a photograph!!! I posted some of my early welds and got some good feedback about them and how to make adjustments to improve them. I'd reccomend that you do the same thing. There are a LOT of folks here who make a living as welders, and they are happy to share their expertise with a new, enthusiastic student.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif