Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with a few questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gruveb, Jun 27, 2003.

1. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

Howdy. I'm a 30 year-old teenager that recently purchased a new toy; an 82 Blazer. I got it pretty cheap considering the mods it came with but it has a few problems.

First off, how much torque do the drag link ends require? It's not listed in my manual. The instructions for my raised steering arm said 40#, but I want to double check-steering is important you know?

Second thing is: The windshield wiper switch isn't hooked up and I can't locate the wiring harness. It's just a two speed switch, but monsoon season is just around the corner and I'd like to get them set up.

Third thing: Drive shaft angle? What's too much, how do I measure and are there any "bolt-on" solutions? I have 35" super swampers, 4" suspension lift and 2" of body lift.

Fourth thing: I've purchased a bolt on steering box/frame support. The instructions are rather vague, any pics or helpful ideas?

Fifth thing: What's the best place to start with a brake system upgrade? Everything is in good order, no leaks, pads and shoes are fine and drums and rotors are fine too. Even so, this thing stops like a freakin' boat!

Thanks for the input and I hope I haven't asked too many stupid questions that have been asked a thousand times just last week.

<----that dude is kewl.

EDIT: One last thing. What's the difference between a K5 and a K10? When we ran the VIN on my Blazer it came back as a K10. Just wondering.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Well first off Welcome
    and Congrads on the new toy :-)
    1 thing that might help ya on the drive angles is this site
    http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
    and next up bracking well what axles ya got ??
    if not a 14 bolt in the rear get 1 there shoes are almost twice as big that should help ya slow down
    or at least go 4 wheel disk
    and then get ur D60 up front for even more stopping power then go hydro boost
    well thast should keep ya busy and Poor for a while
    hope ya enjoy the sight as much as most of us do and ya deciede to join it was 1 of the smarter things i have done in my life
    Randy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

K5 is a half ton blazer, k10 is a half ton truck.
    10 = 1/2 ton
    20 = 3/4 ton
    30 = 1 ton
    Hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You MIGHT find some info on the boxbrace at www.offroaddesign.com

As for braking, what kind of budget are you looking to spend on your truck. if you're looking to go big in the future youll want to upgrade your axles once and thats it. I made the mistake of upgrading my 1/2ton axles and later going 1ton and selling my expensive 1/2tons for cheap.
    If you dont plan to go big tires and lift and keep 1/2 ton axles then go ahead and find disc brake conversion for them, that should help. Maybe master cylinder is giving out, that might make brakes spongy. If you're planning to go big in the future I suggest a 14bolt fullfloat axle with a disc brake conversion. And a 3/4 ton 10bolt or Dana44 front axle for starters, if you can find a DAna60 , thats gold. Just hangout at the site and you'll learn alot. You might not wanna spend too much money on your first trucka nd use it to just learn the ins and outs and get you a better porject truck later. I found theres ALOT of stuff i could have done before hand and saved alot of money. So if i could start over I would.

As for driveline angles, the only "bolt on" solution would be a CV shaft or shims. If you have a 4" lift, usually a lowered T-case would take care of any vibes. If you arent experiencing any vibrations then dont worr too much about driveline angles. The general rule of thumb is the angle of the pinion should be 2 degrees above the output shaft angle to makeup for axle wrap(happens under acceleration if you have blocks) and use a protractor tool to find angles. somone correct me if im wrong.

5. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

Thanks for the insight....here\'s what I have now

82 Blazer, 89 Front Clip
    12 bolt rear, 10 bolt front, 35" superswamper.

It looks like someone had already done some work to help the geometry between the transfer case and the rear end.

I'll give a look around at the master cylinder, but how would I tell if it is bad? I mean, I've had bad ones before, but they were just totally shot. Once stopped the pedal would continue to go down and another the pedal would just go to the floor without any resistance at all.

This one doesn't require any "pumping" or anything else.

Thanks for all of the help. I'd been looking for a good site like this for a while and am glad I found one. I frequent some good site for 3rd gen camaros, but hadn't found any for 4X4's yet; they were all rather slow.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5.

Best upgrade I did was disc brakes for the rears (see front page write up). I'm running 35's and with the disc rear my truck stops nearly as well as my wifes 79 on 31's.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Rear disc will defiantely help your stopping distance. You might want to definately switch to steel brakelines becuase they wont expand under pressure. Master cylinder will need changing if brakes seem spongy or hard to press.... mine would be hard as hell to push down every once in a while and it would be really hard to stop and get me quite nervous lol. I sough to had it changed out immediately.

12 bolt isnt a bad axle if you're gunna stay 35" tires. And if you're only running trail and mud. I had 10bolts 4.56 gears and 35" tires and never broke anything. except for a cheap locker I had in once, but that was from careless use and thinking i was invincible.

Do you know what kind of transmission, transfercase, etc?

8. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

Do you know what kind of transmission, transfercase, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

350 Turbo (just had some work done on it), NP208 transfer case, GM Goodwrench 350 less than 2 years old.

Also have a dual battery set up. It's got some solenoid but I have no clue how it works.

Here is a link to a few pics click here

I dont' know if this pic will work, may just be a nice RED X!

[​IMG]

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh you hang at ORC!
    Here let me make you feel at home.

Subject: My Z71 wont go into 4wd.

Whats wrong?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Shawn hates when I do that LOL.

10. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ohhh you hang at ORC!
    Here let me make you feel at home.

Subject: My Z71 wont go into 4wd.

Whats wrong?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Shawn hates when I do that LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bronco board over there is pretty good, but the help on the SFA GM's is slow to say the least, and the information is very limited. Not to say that there aren't guys there who know what they're doing, but it's just low traffic.

One of the Bronco dudes told me about this place when I bought my Blazer.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome...

You'll find this board is very active, and there are no shortages of guys that know thier SFA Chev stuff either.

What is your planned use for the truck as far as wheeling? If you're into rocks and stuff you might start looking for one ton crap now. I should have done that first and just got it over with...

One thing with the one ton stuff...it sure brakes real good. Huge calipers up front, hydro boost and Az-kickin's rear disc kit on the 14 haul the truck down hard when needed./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

12. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

No rock climbing for me. I'd prefer to stick with the mud (no pun intended) and things like that.

Does anybody have any ideas about the windshield wipers? I've got the switch, the motor is installed and wired, but I can't find the harness under the dash. I'd like to see if I can find it before I try to wire it up.

Either way, advice is welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to say that there aren't guys there who know what they're doing, but it's just low traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the SFA board moves pretty fast over there. anyway, i wouldn't know too much, i'm on IFS /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif it's the weekend...wait until guys get back from their trips...it should pick up.

14. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not to say that there aren't guys there who know what they're doing, but it's just low traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's the weekend...wait until guys get back from their trips...it should pick up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been over there for a few weeks now. Oh well.

But there are some very helpful guys over there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif