Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with a turn signal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brenttrf, Apr 9, 2005.

1. brenttrf

brenttrf Newbie

Hay gang, just found this forum yesterday and I am excited to hang out a little and get some good info.

I just inherited an 89' Suburban and I am looking forward to working on it. It actually is in very good mechanical condition, except for one little annoying thing. Maybe you guys can help.

When I use the turn signal and turn right, the turn signal automatically turns off when I make the turn, but when I turn Left, the signal just keeps going for days, it won't turn off. I've never torn into the steering column before, so I was curious if ths is something that is fixable and easy enough to make work.

Thanks for any info

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

it is a common problem on all GMs, there is a spring that breaks. They sell the spring at most autoparts stores in the "HELP" section they are specifically called "Turn Signal Cancel Springs" costs about $2 for 2 of them (left and right)
    you will need a couple tools to get to them however, a Steering Wheel puller, and a Lockplate depressor. These tools are about $15 ea at most places, or get them from a buddy, or rent from autozone, or whatever

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article95.html
    here is a walk-through of a total column rebuild, you shouldnt have to go this far, but it will guide you through what you need to do :)

3. brenttrf

brenttrf Newbie

Excellant info thanks so much

OK, one more question, I also noticed about 10 minutes ago that the left turn signal blinker light is out. Is that a bulb and can it be changed. it is just the interior blinker light.

Thanks

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

ok
    its just another interior blinker light
    pick up a package of #168 lights when at the auto parts store, replace both left and right indicator lights (168s are brighter than stock, so you want to keep it balanced and dont want to tear into it again when the right one goes)
    you will have to tear into your dash to get to it, but no special tools required and it will be a fun learning experience for you. You may want to pick up several packs of 168s, as most of the lights for the guages are the same size, and its more than likely that one of the 6 or 7 is burnt out

you may consider picking up a haynes or chilton manual for your truck, it doesnt cover everythign, but it does cover a lot of these small fixs that we all run into. can be a good reference for the $15-20... better yet, find an open one at the autoparts store and look through it while you're there :)

5. brenttrf

brenttrf Newbie

Awsome, I will do both these things. I had a great Chilton for my Jeep, so i lan to pick one up.

Thanks alot!