Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with front axle problem/question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cajun72blazer, Aug 12, 2003.

1. cajun72blazer

cajun72blazer Registered Member

I am new to the site and K5 world. I purchased my first k5 back in March. Still mostly stock: 350, TH350, front Dana 44, rear 12 bolt, 32x11.5x15. I am still learning about the K5. Everything has been great until about a week ago, when I started hearing a knocking sound when I turn. I notice what seems to be a lot of play horizontally back and forth in one of my axle shafts. It seem to be what is making the sound.
    Do you know what to do to fix this issue?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I assume you're talking about a front shaft?

Where are you seeing this movement, in the u-joint area?

My thinking is some kind of broken hub part in the front end.... (guess) I know you're new to all of this, but you are probably going to get to learn what's behind those allen screws on your locking hub mechanisms soon... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's only scary the first time.....

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

welcome to CK5 with that first gen... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would start with putting the front on jack stands and before you take the tires off, put one hand on top off the tire and the other on the bottom and try to rock the tire in and out. If you can rock it or feel it rocking then your ball joints are toast. Next tear it all apart, get some new wheelbearings and work your way in...
    Good luck and welcome /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Any good service manual like a Chiltons will have a section view of the front axle ends....showing the ball joints, axle shafts, u-joints, bearings etc. They also have exploded views of the locking hub assembly so you can remove an replace them without problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh, and welcome to CK5!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cajun72blazer

Thanks All! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will be changing the bearing and lower and upper ball joints this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Blake

7. cajun72blazer

I found a another problem the spindle bearings are shot. Are there any tricks for removing the old bearings and seals and installing the new parts? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Blake

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're inspecting the spindle bearings, you obviously have it most of the way apart at this point.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Not much to do except swap the "good" stuff in to replace the worn parts.

Two things:

Check the spindle itself for galling where the bearings were riding. Sometimes a badly damaged set of bearings will allow the spindle to become damaged too. This happened to me on a D60 I bought cheap, as I started digging into it.

Second, in case nobody ever told you before, buy AMERICAN bearings....now and forever!!! Timken is a good one, and there are a few others...just make sure you see "Made in USA" somewhere on the bearing. The foreign made stuff is not nearly as good...if you're going to do this messy job anyway (packing bearings is FUN!) then make sure the parts you buy are going to last a long time!

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. cajun72blazer

I was able to find new spindle bearings at my local O'Reillys, but I am having problems finding new spindle seals and spacers/washers. Does anyone know some place where I can order these parts and part numbers to make sure I order the correct parts?
    Thanks,
    Blake

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Spindal Repaire Kit
    Spicer # 706527X
    Comes with bearing/Seal/Thrust Washer(hard plastic)

I have never found a place that sells just the seal????
    Good Luck
    Burt