Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with here and 72 Blazer..need help!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bbblazer78, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bbblazer78

bbblazer78 Registered Member

Hi, everyone..just joined today in search of some answers. I have a 72 k5, the floor pans in the front are shot. I just got my beard seats in today and pulled up the mat to see noting but rot. To ensure I will have solid floor in the years to come..what parts do I need to replace and have a solid floor board. I know floor pans themselves but I got on a restoration site and there were rockers and support boxes. I just need some insight with what i am looking at. Thanks for anyone who helps!

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the board.

Unfortunately what your seeing can sometimes be "the tip of the iceberg" so to speak. :(

You'll have to find good metal and work from there.

Best of luck, been there/done that.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome aboard :D

I have not done what you are looking for but like VT said..you keep cutting away until you get good metal then try and replicate what you just removed...or find a good donor tub...not to easy of a ting to do...
    There are alot of online sources..
    One I use from time to time is www.chevyduty.com

Good Luck
    Burt

4. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Floorboards

Rusty Parts had a good thread awhile back, lots of pics and even some fab advice. He had a very minimum of tools, but a mig and angle grinder are a must!! He's supposed to be sending me all his pics of the project in the next couple days.
    I just started cutting out the drivers side floor, took a long time because the PO sandwiched 2 patch pcs. top and bottom, but I'm past that.
    Currently fitting new floorboard in now.
    As Burt and VT said go all the way back to solid metal then work your way out. These guys will help you along!!!
    Welcome aboard hope you got your tetnus shot.
    Later J.
    Actually if you have time go up and read the sticky on Cancer Support Group, I can't get the pics anymore but maybe you can, it's not really that difficult of a job just time consuming!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the board. I am in the process of finishing mine now. Its a big job, I have been on hold cause of the weather and other things. Look around, lots of good info pertaining to body work. 1st gens are awesome, well mine was for the ten miles I got to drive it. Post some pics of your ride.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Check the "Cancer Support" Thread in this forum.....

It's scary, but it will help you to "embrace the suck" of dealing with rust in a 1st Gen..... :thumb:

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    As Greg stated the "Cancer support group" post is a good place to start.

Another good site is
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php

Although this site is pretty much a Blazer site.The site I mentioned deals with the 1st Gen Blazer Truck and Suburban.All of which suffer from some sort of rust.

So between this site and that one you should be able to get ALOT of info.

8. bbblazer78

bbblazer78 Registered Member

Thanks everyone....yall mention about cutting. Uhmm I think I am gonna let someone else handle this. I love these trucks..my mind and hands would do more harmed than good. I will check out what everyone said and take some pictures along the way. Maybe I can get this thing ready to hit some mud. I bought some beard seats but the company are taking it sweet time sending me the mounting kits. I am now trying to figure out a way to get someone to make some brackets to suit the new seats up with the factory brackets. Who knows! THanks again..!