Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with rules of the offroad questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eripley, Oct 16, 2003.

1. eripley

eripley 1/2 ton status

I like to mud and travel some local farmland where there are already trails. However there are alot of deep mudholes on these trails and there are tire tracks around the mudholes as it seems people avoid them like me. I was wondering if there is a website or a post here that tells you the dos and donts of 4 wheeling. For example. How do you know if a mudhole is too deep to cross. If your not sure should you try to blast threw it or creep. What do you do when you are climbing a steep muddy hill and you get to spinning? How do you know if an drop off is to steep to go down or climb up? etc...etc.

These are all basic questions but I am wondering what you do in certain situations. There has got to be a newbie guide to 4 wheeling somewhere....

thanks for all your help. I have managed not to get stuck yet but have been what UI thought to be close. There is all kinds of fun stuff I have been avoiding and missing out on because of afraid of rolling the vehicle or getting stuck somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i dont know of any guide, but i can tell ya a few things.

1 - NEVER go without a second truck, unless you're POSITIVE that you can get someone to come get you out if you get stuck. and even then, try to find a second truck. every time i've gotten stuck, it's because i went by myself and got hopelessly stuck. and the time that i got stuck the worst (last sunday night, as a matter of fact), i went thru a hole that we go to almost every day. and over the course of 2 days, the ruts had gotten almost a foot deeper. i was by myself. lemme tell ya, callin your best friend's parents at 1 AM to come get you when youre 40 miles from home is not fun. so listen to me when i say this - i know. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2 - don't be stupid. attacking a 4ft deep ditch at 55mph is not a good idea. hopefully you already knew that, but you get my point. wear a seatbelt, and dont exceed your limits

3 - if you wanna drive outta there, rather than be towed, be nice to your truck. (hey, im not a poser, its my DD /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). Think of it this way: if you think to yourself even for a second that you're being too hard on your truck, stop.

as for the other stuff, like finding out how deep a mudhole is, its basically common sense. dont just gas a truck thru a mudhole if you've never been thru it. ive seen puddles that were 3ft wide, and ended up being 3ft deep too. if you dont have a second truck, approach with caution. if you feel the front tires sink in, back off and wait until you have a buddy to pull you out. i dunno about anywhere else, but that works around here. as for worrying about rollin your truck, go by the seat of your pants. if it feels too steep, it probably is.

this is by no means complete, and im sure some more experienced members can fill in (or correct me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) what i missed. hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

just use common sense.If you think a hill is too steep just avoid it.Talk to other wheelers.do not be afraid to ask questions just because you are new to it.Avoid showing off,You would be surprised how many people get hurt doing it.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

thers a book called the 4-wheeler's Bible. Its is a good book. I bought it and learned alot more then I already knew. you can get it from www.4x4books.com. I think its like 25$.

Nick

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Just remember to take your time and learn the limits of your truck. Don't let yourself be pressured by other people to do an obsticle that you are not comfortable doing. Over time you learn what your truck can and can't do, so don't rush or try to play catch up with people who have more experience. I avoid a lot of things on the trail to. I feel I have a lot to learn yet, and I don't want to be the guy out on the trail who rolled his truck and caused problems for the whole group because I did something above my experience level.

Hopes that helps some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The way I have always checked mud holes to see if they are too deep is by just getting out and sticking a stick in them to measure.
    -Harrison

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Common sense, common sense, common sense!!!

P.S.
    Michael Moore is an A+ [darn]

8. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

wisdom comes from expierience,
    expierience comes from failure,
    (got that one off a fortune cookie)

be careful take baby steps, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you ban books you haven't read too? Or you throw them in fires, something like that...

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Michael Moore has a brain, therefore many people don't like him.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you ban books you haven't read too? Or you throw them in fires, something like that...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing to dispute a statement, it's another to look under Rule 2.3-85 (a) of the Liberal's Guide to Debating........
    [ QUOTE ]
    When confronted with an opinion that does not correspond with liberal idealogy, resort to personal attacks and attempt to direct the discussion off into a different direction in an attempt to make your opponent think you know what you are talking about, when in reality you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it's okay to paint someone as a fascist when they don't agree with an opinion huh?

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That comment was based on the fact that most people who judge others know very little about them. And these types of people are generally the ones who ban books or in some instances burn them becuase of what they fear is in them...

Michael Moore has some very seroius questions and brought to light issues many people don't realize exist, example, all the AMERICANS who have gotten the shaft by GM corp so that GM executives and stock holders can make more money while honest hard working Americans get evicted from their homes because their jobs were exported to Mexico and over seas...

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yes, it's really fun living in daily worry that both of your parents may come home today and tell you they no longer have a job /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. 30 more people were just let go at my mom's office, all of whom had at least 20 years in. (They are GM employees by the way)

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That comment was based on the fact that most people who judge others know very little about them. And these types of people are generally the ones who ban books or in some instances burn them becuase of what they fear is in them...

Michael Moore has some very seroius questions and brought to light issues many people don't realize exist, example, all the AMERICANS who have gotten the shaft by GM corp so that GM executives and stock holders can make more money while honest hard working Americans get evicted from their homes because their jobs were exported to Mexico and over seas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, ya know going through life reading signs and knowing what those signs mean can make the difference between sucess and defeat.

So having seen your book recommendations, and concluding that the turd that just went screaming down the toilet has more intelligence than Moore and Franken combined, I will remove myself from this conversation now since it will only end up like many others before it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This Michael Moore sounds like a real modern day Ralph Nader, doesn't he? Which is to say that his, "serious questions" are nothing more than him attacking an American company in order to gain some publicity.

So GM sends jobs overseas. That’s business. You impose a minimum wage and that slowly starts to make American workers unaffordable. You then let foreign automakers sell their products here. How can GM remain competitive price-wise with foreign automakers that can build cars out of Mexico where the minimum wage is between 3.40 to 4.00 dollars a day?

Sure you can point out the fact that executives make more money, but they don't send work overseas so they can make more money. That’s just criticism. They do it to remain competitive. The raises and bonuses executives are getting are small when you consider the cost difference of employing 350,000 American workers versus a combination of American and foreign workers.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will remove myself from this conversation now since it will only end up like many others before it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

17. dill

dill Registered Member

that signature is just asking for it anyways...just like putting GEORGE BUSH, RUSH, AND TED NUGENT ARE MY PERSONAL HEROES, MAY THEY LIVE AND PROSPER FOREVER.

lol, just trying to shed some humor on the post /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I like Ted Nugent /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. dill

dill Registered Member

me too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Michael Moore is the type of person who blamed America for 9-11. If you have read this book, and seen Bowling for Columbine, you surely know that he is just as close-minded and hateful as you THINK I am. Before 9-11, I was probably fairly liberal, but the deaths of 343 brothers, and a couple thousand civilians changed that, as soon as Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the liberal losers started suggesting that WE "had it coming". Now, I am a conservative Republican, because somebody had to stand up and say to the rest of the world, "America: We'll kick your ass if you mess with us". I don't agree with why we went to Iraq for instance, but the end result was the end of a genocidal regime. How is that bad? Anyways, politics are a nasty mess for any post. Can't we all just think like me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif