Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with shot tilt steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exrider, Jun 21, 2004.

1. exrider

exrider Registered Member

Hey guys I've got a 78 K5 Blazer and my tilt steering is shot. I know this because I have taken it apart and am unable to tigthen up the bolts. Searching though the site I have found out more about my Blazer than I ever thought I would and one the members wrote in previous forum to replace the tilt with a standard steering column. I would like to do this or just replace the old tilt one. My question is can someone point me the right direction to get a replacement column with all the accessories on it already.

Thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have rebuilt dozens of the tilt colums and the most common fiailures i see are the loose bolts and broken shift collars. Both seem like the same thing until you take it apart. I would look to see if the collar is broken. If so just reweld it like i do. It only takes me about an hour to do one from start to stop if it is out of the truck.

When i get the time to put tilt steering in my 87 i will try to buy a broken column and just fix it up.

3. exrider

Problem with that, I am not a welder. Would I be able to just replace the shift collar? If that is the problem.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The part that is probably broken is the main part of the column. Right behind the bolts that always come loose. If you are located anywhere near me let me know and i will fix it up for you. If not i am sure there is someone else on here that could help you out.

Or you could just hit up the local bone yard for a new "tight" column.

5. exrider

Thanks for he offer, but I am in AZ. Looks like I will be calling the bone yard for parts then. Thanks

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

See this post

John

7. exrider

Thanks, looks I will be having some fun this weekend.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I still havent tried to fix the sloppy tilt colum in my 79 C10,since the power brake booster is junk and I'm having a hard time finding one,plus the motor was rapping for awhile,its quiet now--but I think its waiting for me to get far from home before it blows!.After reading the post on how to fix it,I think I'm going to either let my friend who has done several do it for me--my eyes arent that good anymore,and I'm certain I'll drop something in there.If all else fails I have a non tilt colum from a 73 K10 I could throw in(I never use the "tilt" anyway)but I think that will open another can of worms,because that colum has the big splines on the end,and the 79 has the round shaft with one side squared off--here we go again! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've swapped out many colums. Just search you local "U-Pull it" salvage yards till you find a good one.