Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie with some AK-57 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by l_niemetz, Dec 18, 2003.

1. l_niemetz

l_niemetz Registered Member

Hi everyone, newbie K5er here with some questions. Heres the lowdown. I have an 84 K5 with a stock suspension, I have a Dana 44 front axle and a GM 12 bolt rear both from a 77 K5 that I am going to swap under the 84. For a suspension I am seriously considering the AK-57 setup for the rear, the questions I have are: a. how much lift will that get me in the rear, and b. what are some good ideas to get the front end up as high as the rear? I want to run 35-37 inch wheels as I am new to wheeling with anything bigger than 33". I would imagine a one or two inch bodylift would help clear the size tires I want to run, and I am lifting the body off in the springtime to sandblast the frame so a bodylift isnt out of the question. well, I figured Id ask you guys first before I call up the AK ppl and bother them. Thanks in advance, this site rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

4-6" lift

for 35-37" tires, i'd go 4" and cut the fenders.

3. l_niemetz

Hey thanks zakk, yeah i probably will be trimming anyhow, this rig is a trail machine, not a show truck. So you are saying I could go 4 or 6 inches, whichever i prefer? And any ideas on the front? I would love to hear what some other people are running in front of their AK-57 rears. Thanks again from a humble (poor) bluebie, lol.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got the 5" springs in the front with the 5" "springer/Ak-57" kit in the back. love it.

got pics in the sigs.

5. l_niemetz

Hey nice rig zakk. So what size springs are those in the front to give you 5" of lift? And what did you do about the steering arm etc? Thanks again.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would stick with 4" lift. You will want to stick with 35" tires to keep breakage down and the lower the truck is the better it will handle (on and off road). Buy some 4" Tough Country EZ-rides from ORD (look at Stephen's post about christmas sale) and do the 4" in the rear as well. After you do that you will want a 4" raised steering arm and longer shocks in relocated mounts (look at the writeup in the technical section). Shocks in factory mounts will limit travel and all the money you spent on the suspension will be wasted.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

just a question- could you buy larger 57" lift springs and use them as well, hypothetically? or move the whole shackle hanger back and run 6" lift 63"ers?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You could use 57" ford lift springs if you could find them...but you would have to redrill the center pin hole to keep the axle in the same spot. If you were going to use 63's you would want to keep the rear shackle hanger in the same spot and move the front spring hanger. If you just moved the rear you would move the axle back 5.5"

9. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I figured Id ask you guys first before I call up the AK ppl and bother them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lowell if you have any questions please don't hesitate to give us a call, it's never a bother/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The kit provides either a 4 or 6 inch lift, your choice.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just a question- could you buy larger 57" lift springs and use them as well, hypothetically? or move the whole shackle hanger back and run 6" lift 63"ers?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. 73K5tony is running those on his rig after Marv did some R&D work for us. works very nice, but the drop arms must be slightly modified

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi everyone, newbie K5er here with some questions. Heres the lowdown. I have an 84 K5 with a stock suspension, I have a Dana 44 front axle and a GM 12 bolt rear both from a 77 K5 that I am going to swap under the 84.

[/ QUOTE ] If you want to run larger then 35's, you may want to consitter 3/4 ton's or if you've got the fundage, 1 ton axles.