Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with some questions about a 71 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firstgensrock, May 8, 2005.

1. firstgensrock

firstgensrock Newbie

Hey, I am new to the forum and I had a few questions to ask about a 71 blazer that I am trying to buy. It is in pretty good shape with a new crate 350 with under 5000 miles on it and a rebuilt turbo 350 trans and a new performace exhaust (cant remember what brand). It has new stainless steel brakelines, pads, rotors, etc. It is on 2 inch blocks and 33 or 35 inch tires. Everything mechanical is new and all the wiring was redone. The only problem is that it has a bunch of rust on the doors and rockers (the other panels have been replaced). The floor on the interior also has some minor surface rust. It also has a new soft top. What do you think I should be paying for something like this? I am currently in high school and I only go to three classes...then I take a bus to a tech school where I do auto body, so I can do the rust repair during class! But there is still one thing that won't go by my parents... It has lapbelts and no airbags. How could I change this? Do i have to buy seats with built in 4 point belts? Or is there an easy way to install regular belts? Oh yeah, and it has factory a/c, factory 4wd with new 373 gears, and the body itself has about 134,000 miles on it. If theres anything I missed please let me know. I am basically looking for an estimated value and what I can do about the whole safety issue. Thanks a whole lot guys and I will keep you updated.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm sure you know what it will take to get the body back in shape...

For the seat belts do a search for TonyP. He made some brackets to mount a regular 3-point belt setup (from a newer GM truck I think) to his roll bar. It shouldn't be hard at all to do or cost much.

3. firstgensrock

firstgensrock Newbie

well, the truck doesn't have any rollbars actually... any other suggestions though?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can buy either a 3 point or 5 point racing harness that attaches to a roll bar OR the floor board. If you plan to wheel this thing i suggest you buy or build at the least a roll bar if not a roll cage and attach the seat and belts to it. :thumb:

5. firstgensrock

firstgensrock Newbie

im not planning on going offroading or anything yet. the truck is only slightly lifted too. do they actually make seats that have seatbelts built in though (5 points i guess)? and any answers about how much you think i should pay for it? thanks again.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you buy it you should put in a roll bar. You might be able to find one in the for sale section here. You also might be able to find a shop that could make you one or at least bend the tube and you weld it together. Then just put in 3-points and call it good. 4 or 5 points would also need a roll bar to attach to.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

as far as seat belts go....not sure how much you wanna spend or how much of a 'bolt on' it is, but the newer trucks have the seat belts integrated into them. Lap/shoulder belts are actually a part of the seat. 99+ chevy trucks have them.
    just a thought....

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Here's is my 2 cents. Your parent's are concerned for your safety. As they should be, but they probably want to see responsibility on your part too. Do some research and show them that air bags were designed and implemented for people that DON'T wear their seat belt. Airbags, as far as I know, are not easy to retrofit. They have modules that are calibrated to the vehicle they are in. Remind them it is a well built, solid truck, and with todays crumple zones that are engineered into cars, they will absorb the impact. Why is it that big rig drivers never get hurt? I don't see airbags in those or 5 point harnesses. Maybe offer to take a defensive driving course. I own a 71 blazer, and have lap belts with a cage, and I feel WAY safer than I would in a honda or toyota. Not to mention if I was in an accident, I would probably be able to drive home! As for the stock seats, they are crap. It's like sitting on one of those little spring horses at the playground. What is the truck worth? I paid 3800 for mine. It was cleaner than most I looked at, ran good, wasen't wheeled hard, had some rust in the rockers and floors but was overall a solid truck. If this is your first truck though, be prepared. Parts are sometimes hard to come by. Alot of guys start out with 76-91's for this reason. Plus they are plentyfull. I love my 71, and I offer my wife first to anyone that asks if it's for sale. :D

9. firstgensrock

firstgensrock Newbie

thanks for the info. i actually told my parents a few stories about my friend's 69 pickup. he hit a deer going 55 and he didnt even slow down. he just plowed right through it and the deer flipped 9 times. no dents or anything, he didn't even budge. plus, about three cars have rear ended him and totalled their hondas, toyotas, etc. I think i might keep an eye on those 99 and up seats. i get my sat scored on may 23rd, and if i get at least a 2000 (new sat, about a 1400 on the old one) then my dad will let me take it to our mechanic and make an offer. :D im so excited! ahhh. ok. rant over. thanks again.