Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie with some questions about identifying engine, belt problems, and rad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bmacleod, Jul 23, 2002.

1. bmacleod

bmacleod Newbie

Hey all, I sold my Camaro and bought an 88 Jimmy 4x4. I haven't had it long and I want to find out more info. My camaro was a 4th gen an so going to an older rig leaves me even more clueless as to what's under the hood.

First off, the only thing that I know about the engine is what the seller had said: "It's a LT1 out of a 79 Corvette". I had always thought that there was no such thing as a LT1 in '79, but instead a L86 (or was it L82?). The engine is indeed older, as it's carburated. But maybe the engine is newer than 79 but just in a 79 car. How can I identify what kind of engine this is?

Second problem I'm having is with my belts staying on. Almost anytime I open the 4 barrels I'll lose both my alternator and power steering belts. They're V-shaped, with both the power steering and alternator belts going to the crankshaft and water pump pulleys. I've tried loosening the alternator belt some and that one now seems to be staying on, but the power steering belt will immediately flip itself upside down, then will come off like mentioned above.

Lastly, after I shut off the truck water will start spewing out of my rad cap. My temp seems to be staying steady at about 210. I've tried using a different rad cap also incase the seal went bad, with no luck. Like I said, it's just when I shut the truck off (as far as I know), as if the pressure is building up too much.

Any help would be appreciated -- I'm quite a newb here...

Thanks

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm pretty much clueless on your engine identification problem..But I'll take a stab at the belt thing...A wild stab though.lol.....Are all the pulleys inline with each other? Are all the bolts for the various brackets in thier proper places? Are you sure it only happens when the 4 barrels open up? Or is it just at a certain RPM?I assume you have tried new belts? See if you can get it to spit it's belts when sittin in the driveway in park....I don't know really what this will tell ya, but maybe it'll be some food for thought for ya to chew on.
    The radiator thing....You said you used a different rad cap...Did ya use a new one? Is the radiator itself in ok shape? I.E- not plugged or anything? It seems to me that water could only barf outta the radiator cap if it was boiling....Maybe replace the thermostat...Also maybe the sending unit is bad or giving false reading.....I'm just kinda stabbin in the dark here...Hope it helps ya in some way...Good luck and welcome to CK5.

Oh, By the way, fill out your profile and location and stuff, so we know alittle about you and your rig. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go here (Clicky)mortec.com to ID your engine. Be sure to read both pages

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

No such thing as an LT1 in '79. LT1 RPO code was used for the high performance 350 in '70 through '72, then it was used again for the Gen II 350 in '91 and up Vettes, F bodies and some Caprices (Police, Impala SS, etc.). If it really is a Corvette motor, there are probably some mismatched accessory brackets or they used the Corvette water pump (oddball short pump) with brackets for a long pump (used in all other applications besides Corvette, '69 and up).

5. bmacleod

bmacleod Newbie

KidJethro,

Yes sorry I missed a couple details here. The pulleys were not lined up completely straight. So I shimmed a little off the alternator mount and that one is a lot straighter, and also I've welded a little spacer for the power steering, and it's better, but not completely straight (I think I would need a new water pump pulley to get it right). And also when I say it's when I open the 4 barrels it's because that's when the engine is making the most movement, throwing the belts off. And if I sit idle and punch the gas the power steering belt will flip itself upside down, but I'm sure if I tried I could get it to come off.

What I'm wondering with the power steering belt, is if I could use a smaller belt to go around just 2 pulleys instead of the third (the crankshaft pulley). Would this cause problems?

And no, the second rad cap isn't a brand new one, just one I found that looked like it was in OK shape -- both are rated for 15 lbs of pressure. Should I get one rated for more pressure? The rad itself looks to be in good shape, there were a couple bad spots but they were patched. I'm really not sure if there are any blockages in there, but like I said I don't think it spits out anything until after I shut the engine off.

Thanks again

6. bmacleod

bmacleod Newbie

I looked around to see if I could find a part # or anything, and the only thing I was able to find was a number on the side of the block, actually I think it's just the manifold, probably standard parts but if it means anything to anyone the number I got was "GM 14007400LH K2 M 13 9".

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, there is an LT1 difference besides the years : ) Early ones are LT-1, new ones are LT1. Picking nits, but I had that beaten into my head already by someone else. *Does* make it a little easier when writing about engine transplants though, you know earlier engines will have the hyphen.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well, To my thinking the only way a belt would flip itself over would be if somethin was flexing or vibrating at a given RPM. Or the pulleys being out of line. I think I would concentrate my thoughts in that area. Also do what you can to make the pulleys line up without shims and welding....Wasn't designed to run that way. If it requires new pulleys, then do it. It's worht the piece of mind I think. On the radiator thing....I personally would go buy a new radiator cap. Might not fix the problem, but you'd have a new one. And I still think things are just too hot in there......Try pullin the thermostat out and see if it still happens. If it does, You've elimintaed the thermostat. If it stops, then go grab a new thermostat. Good luck and let us know what ya find. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif