Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie's First Impressions Offroad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 13, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to share a GMC newbie's first impressions offroad. Just bought my 1983 Jimmy 3 days ago... Today after I finished the basic maintenance overhaul, I took it out behind my house where there's a couple of nice sand dunes, some rocks and basically a number of obstacles I always ran my Jeep over, so I know them well.

I'm very pleased to report that the Jimmy performed much better than I expected! It felt light and responsive on sand!! Amazing... I was expecting some sluggishness and lack of acceleration - I knew the power would be there, but I was unsure of the get-up-and-go stuff. No problems at all, and I didn't even deflate!!!

Also on dry wadi bed the ride was so smooth compared to my Jeep, totally in complete comfort.

There's a sharp "river bank" made out of stones, maybe 40 degrees incline about 6 metres long, and so I tried out the approach and departure angle - fine there as well, no scraping. I also tried the off-camber run I always did with my Jeep and matched it - didn't try until the wheel lifts off, but will gradually work up to that.

Crawling over rocks, perfect. Low 1st just motors along without touching gas or brake.

Gentlemen, I report what you already know: I have inherited a full-blood offroad machine here, not a heavy, under-performing, gas-guzzling chunk of metal. Very impressed...

I still haven't tried on a long dune climb, nor cresting, nor escaping from a bowl, nor a sideslope, nor many other things, so it's still early to sing, but so far it's very promising.

Still waiting for the Haynes manual, and then need to do the front axle seals asap.

Oh, I've also just moved my entire "garage" into the back!!! All my gear, tools, fluid canisters, the whole thing! I'm now a mobile mechanic's shop!!

:bow:

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, the first time... Next comes the lift, bigger tires, gears, lockers, MORE POWER!! Then stuff starts breaking. Next thing you know you got Dana 60's, 14 bolts, and big motors!! :saweet:

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[Napolean Dynamite voice] Did you take it off any sweet jumps? [/Napolean Dynamite voice]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You poor bastard. You don't know what you are getting yourself into. Start saving all of your money now, because in a couple of years you will have 10K into it and be thinking " With a little more trimming those UNIMOGS will work"
    Welcome to our world. Live on this site and no where else.

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

very true boys
    having one is cool but you realize you have put 9 or 10 into it and cant tell because its a wreck.... (IE: body cut stuff missing stuff ETC...)

Luke

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

My coworkers are looking at me funny.... That was awesome

To the original poster:

Glad you like the full size... welcome to the club! The Jeep guys I ride with are always like "You don't need that much power on the trail" "That things too big & heavy on the trail" blah blah blah. Then they ask me to carry stuff for them because there's not room in their Jeep, and they are sure grateful that I bring a mobile shop's worth of hand tools and enough fluids to drain & change everything. :doah:

7. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

im kinda new to this as well, i have a 78 stepside. its already lifted, and im lovin it. althought i have no rear end, i will have it up and running again soon...

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Glad to here it goes ! Welcome to Blazerville.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the asylum :D