Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NewbieTranny ID Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Apr 5, 2004.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Tomorrow I'm going shopping at Pick N Pull for a 700r4, however, I don't know how to tell it apart from a TH-model or a 4L60E. Are there any hints like the 'Ears' on 10bolts, or do I have to have the year, and model of the truck to ID the tranny?
    Thanks,
    Nate

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 700r4 and 4l60 until electronic are basically the same thing. If you look at trucks from say 93 and back it wouldn't matter anyway. The important thing to look for are trucks with the trans still installed, smell the fluid if its burnt smelling or dark look at another. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Ahh, good point, I didn't even think about smelling the tranny, though it may have occured to me tomorrow. I just found a page on Chucks Chevy Truck's site that showed the different shapes of tranny pans from the TH350, 400, and 700r4. Very helpful. Thanks again!

4. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Well if you got a tape mesure the length of a T-400 is24 inches the 4L80E is 27.5 inches the 700R4 is 23.5 inches and I think the t-350 is even shorter tese measurements are bell housing to were the adapters bolt to the tranny. count how many times it clicks on the shifter to see how many gears it has start in park and go to first that should narow it down I just know them by sight now. Check youre local tranny N gear shop they have those poster with all the shapes of pans on different tranys years and models I used to have one how I learned. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a 700r4 has a 4 prong plugin on hte driver side, the 4l60e has a big round plug in on the pass side. the 700r4 also has a TV cable on the pass side.