Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newby here wanting to lower my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bakerlaw67, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bakerlaw67

bakerlaw67 Registered Member

[​IMG]

Well, just a little.

I just picked up an '87 K5 w/350 for $750 for my 16-yr-old daughter. The problem is that she's 5'3, and needs a ladder to get in! :doah: I don't know anything about the car because its from an impound. It definitely has a lift on it (see the pictures), but I need it to come back down without having to change the shocks or losing the ability to run the 32" tires that are on there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can it be done? Cheaply? What does it entail? Does anybody local want to trade? I'm looking for that, a cruise/tilt column and a 91 grille.

What's the story with those funky taillights? I've got stock ones ordered already so if anybody wants them, let me know.

My photobucket link:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/bakerlaw67/Blazer/?start=all

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

IN the rear, you simply need to remove the spacer block (and cut the U bolts shorter if you're anal). In the front you need new (used) stock springs, as the previous owner swapped them out with 4" lift springs. Should be all there is to it.

You didn't really show a pic of the funky tail lights, but Im guessing they are euro's.

edit: Just checked your photobucket page, yep just fancy lights (usually called euro's). Simply unscrew them and replace with stock.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You may need to ditch those wheels to run with no lift and those tires.

I'm only speculating here, but you don't need a lift to run 32x11.5R15's on stock wheels. Those aftermarket wheels have pushed the front wheels out a fair amount from stock it looks like.

For your grille, see if there is a place called certi-fit (SP?) near you. I picked up a brand new '85 grille for $25. Needed a bit of finesse work (those Chinese aren't apparently too concerned with minor details like fit lol) but for the price, the few minutes I spent making it fit was worth it. No modifications you could see, they had just made the bowtie piece in the center too large for the actual emblem to fit over as stock. GM may still sell the '91 stuff though, if you want OEM, just get a part number and take that over to gmpartsdirect.com. Shipping's a killer, but still better than your local dealer, almost guaranteed.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would say throw a set of carr hoop steps on there and call it done. Much easier than unlifting the truck. They work well for getting into and out of any truck. The only downside to them is they hang down too low for any hard off-roading, but for your application I think they would do just fine.

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

If you take the blocks out of the back it doesn't look like there will be enough thread left on the u-bolts, so you may have to get shorter ones.
    Can he just take a leaf out of the front to lose some height, or will that mess up his ride?

6. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

easiest way is to add a set of running boards.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

BTW, looks like a good deal. Maybe you could get her a deal on a Cavialer and keep that for yourself.

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Shocks are cheap. If you can, get the manu and part # off the shocks. Take the #s to a GOOD off road shop. They will be able to tell ya if those will work with stock lift. From the pics, looks like you have a clearance issue between the tailpipe and the shock.

9. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

that was a score for 750 !! nice and clean ill bet she loves it . on the height issue , its really not high . you can get her some side steps to get in . the work involved with bringing it back down just doesnt seem worth it fo the minimal amount of lift it does have. :laugh:

10. bakerlaw67

Great idea! We have tons out here (Fly-n-hi, 4-wheel parts, etc) I'll have to check that out.

I looked today, and I think it is just an illusion. The thing bounced all over when it was loaded and unloaded. There aren't any marks or dents, so I think it will be OK.

It's got no rust, but the clear coat is flaking off all of the white, and the gray on the doors. It cleaned up well, and the interior is in really good shape.

Is it really that hard to swap front springs? I'm not a fan of steps or boards.

Nobody out here wants to work out some kind of trade of their stock front leafs for my leafs and blocks?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  11. gauder

gauder Banned

Ya, just put some nerf bars on the side for her to step up and into it. Less work for you too.

12. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

If you really want stock springs, I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that would just give you the stock fronts to get them out of the way (plus shipping of course). I would from my k10 but the shipping would hurt your feelings from Tennessee.

But I'm with the other guys, it really isn't that tall, and it looks awesome. I'd just throw some step bars on it and call it good. You'd be money, time, and appearance ahead.

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

If I was local, I would SO make that trade... man ol man... how far are you from Pheonix AZ? I'm wondering if I can get my buddy paul or TJ to help me work out a trade with ya.. or I bet one of them would want to trade for your springs.. if shipping wouldn't be high, I would be all over that.. I'm gonna tell them about you tonight on messenger... If I was local, I would take your lift off, and install everything you need to be non lifted.. :D

14. bakerlaw67

If I was keeping it for myself, it would stay just how it is. I'm worried about my ex-wife bitching about the higher center of gravity and the effect on a 16-year-old, inexperienced driver. She had a friend crushed by a Jeep rollover (I know its a whole different thing, but try to tell her that!).

Shipping is exactly why I want to stay local.

15. bakerlaw67

I'm in Gilbert (Greenfield & Warner). About 20 miles E of downtown PHX.
    Your reaction is kind of what I was expecting more of. :wink1: I couldn't believe that nobody with stock susp wants to lift.

16. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I know two guys that might help you. I really, really wish I was there, and I promise I would :bow:

17. gauder

gauder Banned

But her visibility would be so much better with the lift installed.;) Plus it's a lot harder to roll a 5000lb vehicle than a itty-bitty cheap.

18. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Sent you an email. I'm interested.

19. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Well if you change your mind about runnin boards i'll sell you my old ones. I bought the truck, they were on it 1 hour later they werent.:haha: Anyway 25 plus shippin and their yours (Diamond plate)

For the rear it shouldn't be too hard just like everyone said swap out the blocks. and in da front you'll need new springs

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

well, i'm in the middle of stripping and cutting up a couple of trucks with a friend, and i know one of them was a 4wd with stock front springs, le'me see what i can figue out when i'm over there again, (throughout the week, up into this weekend)

and yes, i am local:D