Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newer alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a newer 100A alternator that I am going to put into my 85. What is necessary wiring wise to put it in. Do I need some sort of connector adaptor or can I just hardwire it in? Do I need to replace the wire with a heavier guage?
    Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I swapped a late-model "CS" alternator into my Suburban. All you should need for the wiring is a pigtail connector from Painless Wiring. There are two different kinds, depending on which alt you are using. You will find both kinds at this link on Painless' web site: community.webshots.com/user/robbrj

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

That pigtail plug only uses 2 wires out of the 4? Whats with the other 2? Did you use them? Which ones are the necessary ones?
    Thanks,

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Not sure if I understand, but AFAIK you just need the 2 wires that are on the pigtail. If you are using the same pigtail that I am (the 30707), the red one goes to the BAT output (large stud that connects to the battery). It is really just a short jumper wire. The white wire is the alternator exciter wire that should go to your fuse box.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>