Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newer Cougars, worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by lowlevell, Oct 26, 2001.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I am currently looking for a new(er) car for my girlfriend. Today we came across a V6 99 or 00 Cougar.We did not test drive it because it was automatic and she wants manual:). Does anyone out there have any complaints(recalls) about these cars? Because they seem to be a good price for what they are and offer (around $13,000). I have looked them up on the web and found some info, but i want REAL info. The Cougar she will considering will be a V6 manual. You motorheads out there dont need to tell me to get her a TA, because we already tried that route, and her insurance would double.Thanks.....

One From None

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Friend of mine used to have a 99. Hated it. Said if he knew exactly what he was getting into he would have just bought a rice mobile in the first place. Nothing solid, and I don't know if it was breaking or anything, but he absolutely hated it. Got rid of it as soon as his 2 year lease was up.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350/4L60, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's[​IMG]

3. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have anything positive to say about these cars?.........

One From None

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know two girls that have them, and they are kind of nice, but falling apart. Little annoying rattles everywhere, and too many problems for a car thats only a few years old. For that price and type of car, I would go for something like a Honda, Nissan or Toyota. all three seem pretty reliable and should last a long time.

90K5<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90K5 on 10/29/01 07:22 PM.</FONT></P>

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can get a nice brand spankin new Saturn for 13K. My dad got a 2 door sport coupe 4 banger with a manual. It's definatly got some spunk to it. It'll move. He liked it so much, he sold his van and got a Saturn station wagon. Both of these are several years old and there still isn't a single rattle on them. He loves them to death, and he's extremely picky about cars.

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

6. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    all my friends with saturns hate then. but since none of them have less than 150,000 miles on them with no major work i dont see what thier complaint is. as for cougars i drove the v6 manual the other day and it was freakin sloooow.

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Damn, ok thanks for the info. Looks like they are out of the question. I havent heard enough good things about these cars.

As for Hondas, we looked at a Prelude. It was as expensive as the TA/Z28, and the insurance was actually a little more....go figure.

One From None

8. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you can always get a 87,88 cougar with a 5.0.

the new cougars look really queer, compared to the old cougars. The old cougars were nice and big, and the new one looks like a two door smaller then midsize car. EW new fwd cars. Old gas guzzlers, rwd, and huge in size is the way to go.

74 VW Beetle
    84 Pontiac Fiero
    87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo
    83 Honda Nighthawk 550

9. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Nope. Knew a few people back in Indiana who had various years of the new Cougar, and they were all POS cars.

No power, total chick car.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

10. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Yeah but I was setting behind one at an intersection last year, forgot it was there and pushed it about 4 feet before I realized what happened. Sun was blinding me, I thought that hte carb. was loading up on my truck. *LOL* It did not even scratch the bumper, NOTHING. They have bad to the bone bumpers that's all I can speak for. MY wife still says that I was trying to get ol' blue to mount up and show everyone what I really think about Fords. :-) Right up the ol' tailpipe.

11. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

If your girlfriend wants a reliable car, look into the Toyotta Camry. They are economical and almost never break down.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

12. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Still looking for a "sporty" type car. Drove an Eclipse other day, i thought it was a bigger POS than the cougar. The car must have a manual transmision.

One From None

13. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Buy a V6 Camaro or Mustang and get a manual trans.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires