Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newer flip and fold rear seat in an older Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Mar 5, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I just put in a newer flip and fold typ rear seat in my 74. If anyone is interested in drawings for the rear brackets you have to fab. Just let me know. It was one of the convenience mods, but it works just like it's from the factory.

2. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I'd definatly be intrested in seeing that. I just picked up a 01 tahoe 3rd seat that I am going be putting in the back pretty soon.

Did you use the suburban or tahoe 3rd seats?

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I believe it was a newer blazer seat, but I think they mount the same as the suburban rear seats. My buddy has a burb. I'll look at his and see if the brackets I made would work. If not, I'm sure it would be a slight modification is all.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Post some pics /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

do your seats have the belts built in? Here's what my 3rd tahoe seats look like

[image]http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_3b907615ec392fe7ee3455a22/i-1.JPG[/image]

I'm sure the brackets will be close anyways. If you have anything doccumented, I would appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me at bjherron@telocity.com

Thanks,
    Brian

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll try to post some pics tonight. My seat is much different than yours, but like I said, nothing a little modification won't help. Along with the pic's, I'll try to do a nice write up for the fab and install. I'll probably move this to the garage though since it is more of a technical topic. Would fab drawings be helpful? If so, what format would you like them in? I can convert to an Adobe file, jpeg, or??? They are done in AutoCAD, so I usually have to convert them so others can view them.

7. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I personally would like them in autocad. I have R14 and 2000, so that would be ideal.

sounds cool! Glad I finally bought a welder, this might be a good chance to use it.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am interested as well what do i need to view the autocad?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your going to have to build a pedistall to sit the seat on to make it work if your using a rear seat out of a 78 up K5. The flip and fold seats came with the 78's up. The 78's also got a rear seat foot well ( the floor in front of the rear seat is the same level as your front floor) that the 77 down did not have. When the seat is flipped forward to increase cargo space it hangs down into the foot well area a couple inches. Without having that room it may not flip all the way forward. Raising it off the floor some will get it the room for that but if your seat is like my 79 the seat belts stay with the seat. When the seat is upright there are two big honker hooks that grab into some slots in the floor to secure the seat belts. Your best bet would be to retain the stock seat belts and not use the belts on the seat unless your going to go to the trouble to install the slots from a newer truck into your floor. Just be sure it's proper welded and you brace it the same way the factory did.
    The other down side to leaving it flat on the floor is your rear seat passengers are not going to have a place to put their feet. The factory seat that would fit your truck had the seat up some for better rear seat leg room. Just got the passengers close to the roof.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. Mine works great. It flips all the way forward, and the front hinges were a direct bolt in. I only had to fab mount brackets that mount in the floor, and bolt the two male anchor pieces into the floor on the sides of the seat. The brackets are welded in flush with the floor, and the anchors are held in with grade 8 hardware. You are right though, it does sit about an inch lower than the stock seat. I wouldn't trade it though. Much easier than unbolting the seat everytime I need to haul something bigger than a spare tire.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm maybe the seat backs vary by the years. On the Lady's 79 I have set a tool box on the floor behind the passenger seat. the tool box is almost exactly the same hight as the bed floor. It hits the box and doesn't come all the way vertical. Real pain in the butt wit hthat latch assembly hanging out there. I also don't understand why that latch has to piviot like that. If it stayed in the possition it's in when the seat is up it would give you about 5 more inches to push stuff forward. I can't begin to tell out how many times I have about busted the plastic cover on that.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain! The reason I put mine in was because it was completely imobile! Maybe that should be put on the list to slap a GM engineer about?

13. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I would definately be interested in seeing the drawings. Either put up a link or email em' to me. Buggybuilder@hotmail.com
    -Thanks, Ben

14. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I'm definately interested in some pictures. I have a 74 as well. I am leaning towards putting bucket seats in the back though. Unless this may be a better way of utilizing the rear bed area.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I apologize guys. My digital pics didn't look so good, so I am taking new ones tonight with some better lighting. I borrowed the digital camera from work, and it's a dinosaur compared to the good stuf that is out there now. I'll try to post some tonight. Also, for everyone interested in CAD drawings of the floor mount brackets, I am putting some finishing touches on them. I did rough sketches for myself. The drawing looked more like a squirrel dipped his feet in ink and ran across the paper, so I wanted to make better ones.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

17. mudhog

you need to log out of webshots then post the link you are posting a link we cant get to because it is trying to log us in as you/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

19. mudhog

looks awesome /forums/images/icons/smile.gif