Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newer motor with older clutch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CBLAZER81, Aug 31, 2002.

1. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

the motor blew in the 81 blazer and I'm having a helluva time finding a good block. Picked up a '90 350cid today and realized the bolt pattern on the crank,for the flywheel,is different.
    My ? is, will the bolt pattern on the old clutch match up with the newer style flywheel? I don't wanna have to buy a new clutch.

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Anybody? I need help on this one.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you saying you HAVE the one piece (rear main, newer block of course) flywheel and are curious about the pressure plate/clutch, or are you wondering if you need a flywheel for the newer motor?

I can't say for sure on the clutch/pressure plate (although I'd imagine the bolt pattern on the flywheel stayed the same) but you will need a different flywheel, I'm 99% sure.

If the flywheels interchange from like '59-86, (approx, IIRC, one piece came of being in 1986) and '86-up, then you'll need a new one.

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Yes,I HAVE the newer block with the one piece rear main seal. (builder block)
    The old one is the older style,2 piece rear main. (blown up,still in truck)
    I found out this morning that they used the same clutch from (approx) 1978-1994. So my old clutch SHOULD bolt up to the newer style flywheel.
    Thanks for the answer though.

5. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yes it will fit
    i had an 85 305 with the 2 piece rear..
    swapped in a crate engine with the one piece, got a new flywheel and the old clutch fit fine...the main bolt pattern is the only real difference in the flywheels, still the same diameter and # of teeth...no reason for them to make a new pressure plate pattern as well....

just make sure you check the clutch out real good, it's easiest to swap in a new one now, but if this one is fine and money is an issue, bolt on what you have