Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newer truck body on blazer frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Dec 30, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

could this be done? i dont know how much different the mounts are form an older to newer chevy truck..i might be getting a hold of an 88 2wd chevy pickup for something to drive becuase the blazer is no were near ready for the road yet..i dont even know if im going to finish it..may just get rid of it...but i was wondering becuase i would take the body of the 2wd and put it on the blazer frame...i would have to cut a whole for the t-case i know../.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I dont know what all it would involve, but I do know that the newer trucks' frames are lower in the cab area. It would probably be easier and less fabricating to just swap your drivetrain into the pickup.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> For a guy that doesn't even want to replace the floor of your Blazer you sure do ask about some labor intensive projects. I've seen this swap done, it entails making all new body mounts and is not something to be undertaken without lots of skill, patience, and access to lots of tools and fabrication equipment.</font color>

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...on that note..say i have a ifs 4x4 truck...and i got a reguler sfa chevy truck to...how much would it cost to do the sfa swap into the new truck if i had the axles and springs and all that form the other truck? would it still cost a lot?

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea lol..i hate body work...mostly cuase i just dont have the skill/ knowledge for it...i like the mechanical part of the hobby

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The best person to answer this question would probably be willyswanter. He has done this swap and should know all the details. I believe he used a ford front end though, to match the driverside drop t-case already in his truck.

I have heard it is easier to start with a 2wd truck, which makes sense because you dont have to remove all the front running gear. You would have to come up with a transfercase though.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmm...yea that would be easy enough to come up with one....put that on and cut a whole in the floor for the t-case shifter. you would have to take the swing arms or whatever out of the front and like weld shackles on the front of the frame?...to hang the springs from...what about the steering and all that? i guess i would just have to get under a 2wd truck and see hwo its setup first..

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well it's actually easier to start with a 4wd truck. The engine crossmember is way in the way of the axle moving up and down. Not to mention the frame being the wrong shape to easily mount spring hangers. You can buy the brackets for 700 and something or make your own. It's not too involved but it definately takes some thinking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif