Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newer truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Mar 29, 2006.

?

what should i do/buy?

1. Buy a90's chevy extended cab short bed

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Buy a94+ dodge extended cab short bed

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Finish turning the suburban into crew cab short bed

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Put a 90's body on the suburban frame and a diesel motor.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. run naked around town and not worry about trucks

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well im going nuts here haha.
    Just cant decide if i wanna get a newer truck for my semi dd or turn the suburban into a crew cab short bed and not use it for serious off road. But if i do get a newer truck the suburban wouldnt be repainted or anything just the lift and sawzall.

Or i could find a newer truck body and put it on the suburban frame. Whats the wheelbase of like a 95 chevy and dodge extended cab short bed?

Another reason i dont like about going with a newer truck is i would need a loan and with a gasser motor would be getting low mpg.

So what do u all think?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so find a diesel if you dont like the option of a gas engine. problem solved.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

90's chevy diesel ought to be fairly cheap since everyone is going duramax now, also consider if its just a DD does it need to be a truck?

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i got a 97 cavalier base model for my dd right now it gets great mpg but is slow as hell and a boring car-no power anything.

And this is a college town so all the students are driving around in there lifted mostly dodge rams, and driving around town seeing them all sitting covered in mud is driving me crazy- i gotta have a truck for my dd lol. And i got like a 40 mile round trip 2 work everyday so i would like 2 get a diesel for the mpg.

Well im leaning towards finishing turning the suburban into a crew cab short bed and make it a nice clean diesel powered dd.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Finish the burb I have seen a couple done up like this aint nothin cooler

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Stick with the Burb unless you're thinking of the 94+ Dodge as an excuse for a CTD. :D

I don't like how the 88-98 Chev bodies are put together all - so skip that option.

Burb is 129" wheelbase, and the ext-cab SWB (GM) is 141.5".

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

what ever you do make sure you know what out come you want,come up with a plan and time line, and RIGHT IT DOWN , and do not stray from it .projects that dont get done are no fun,unless your hobbie is building things.

8. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

if you go to cardomain.com and look through suburbans a guy turned his into a retro avalanche it looked pretty sweet and pretty simple to do if your good with fabrication. it looks like a whole new vehicle and most of the newer trucks have ifs instead of the solid axle. I think you should turn it into a retro avalanche.