Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newr 14ff differences

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Jan 10, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

what exactly is the diffrence between the old 14ff (pre 85) and the newer kind? is it the hub? couldnt that be changed with the older kind?

thanks
    69K5
    nathan

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The newer FF actually started in 88 on the new body style trucks, but the old style apparantly continued up through 91 on the old style, at least thats what I remember Wes saying. I know that it went at least until 87, since my 14bFF is from an 87 and it has the old style hubs. Anyways, the difference is the hub, and it can be changed. </font color>

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

**I heard** there was a difference in the carrier bearings but I'm not sure. I think gear set are different to, something related to the pinion (I've been told that you can use an early style r&amp;p in a late axle but you have to use the early pinion support).

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Carrier bearings are the same, 1 pinion bearing is larger. You can use either housing but depending on what bearing kit you buy determines what pinion support housing you need. 1987 and earlier use one kit and 1988 and newer uses a different kit.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

bearings im not worried about. it was the hubs. i wanna put on disc and the guy across the street has one that his wife was fussing about. i thought i might offer to take it off his hands. i just hadnt paid much attention to it b/c it was the newer style. my parts truck has an eaton in it and i am looking at not putting it in.

thanks for the help

nathan
    69K5

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If it has the back-mounted drum (like most) the only difference in the hub is the metric studs.

If it has a slide-off drum, then the hub flange sits further inboard to yield the same track width once the drum is mounted. This would require a different disc brake kit than the 87-older trucks. The backside of these hubs is also not machined flat - making it difficult to mount a disc.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

u2slow

it is the slide off drum kind. looke like a big version of my 12 bolt kinda. so you think its more complicated than just changing the hubs?

thanks

nathan

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The slide-off hub and drum are matched. Yes, you can swap the older hubs on. The spindle itself is unchanged.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

cool thanks again

nathan
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. tonto

tonto Registered Member

I have a 14-bolt out of a 97 single wheel one ton and the hub and drum are held together the same as the older style. None of the slide of drums, so will the disc brackets work on this one? I know it is out of a 97 cuz I pulled it and looked up the numbers by serial at G.M. dealership.