Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Next 14 bolt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazbrnc, Jun 1, 2001.

1. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

First off, thanks for the quick responses to the previous post. If I install a Detroit, will I need to "set up" the rear end after it is installed? In other words, is it an easy install or am I gonna have to go through the dreaded adjustments?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the 10.5" full floating 14 bolt, than you do not have to re-set the gears after installing the Detroit. It's pretty simple, but I would suggest reading a good service manual and reading some articles. I think there is a good one on the Chevy page of the Off-Road.com page.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There are no adjustments to make. Just keep track of EXACTLY how much you back off of each side bearing adjuster so that you can return them to that spot after you put the diff back in place.

It's been a long time since I did mine, but I'm pretty sure that I had to take the ring gear off of the diff to install the Detroit Locker. You'll need to put new loctite on the ring gear bolts and re-torque them to specs after you put the case halves back together.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

I have RECENTLY installed my detroit locker in two 14bolt FF. It's very easy as harry said, all you need to do I mark the position of the right side, then keep track of how many turns you back it off until the carrier comes out (be careful they're very heavy, especially if your doing it one handed on your back.)

I would recomending backing the left side off all the way, then you will have minimum turns to keep track of on the right side, this was my method both times and each time my results after installation were great.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status