Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

next best thing to a winch??? what to bring on a solo trip??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Aug 25, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I've seen the ratchet type winches but nothing that will handle 5000 lbs, let alone what load may be caused by being stuck... what is out there for under 100 that will yank me out if I can get to a tree 20/30 feet away from the truck?... Also, how do those high lifts act like a winch? pics?

thanks

Jeremy

2. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

3. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Well, the "under 100" is a tough call, and I've had my come-along (which I guess you're referring to as a ratchet) for 22 years and don't remember what I paid for it, but here's my thoughts:
    My come-along is a 2.5 ton capacity, or double that with the built-on snatch block. It has 40' of 3/8" cable. With that come-along, and more cable and another snatch block or two, you'd be surprised how much truck you can move. You'll be surprised how long it takes to rig it up, too, and really surprised at how slow the truck moves, but it will work. Plus, you can set all that stuff up for some pretty odd angles, etc, too, for those times when you go down in a place and at an angle that only a helicopter would get you out of.
    What I can't figure is how to do it all for <100. Mebbe the come-along was $60-70 from Forestry Suppliers back in the early 80s? Likely double that now? Dunno.
    I'm sure the Western US guys have some good ideas on this one.
    Foy

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

for under a 100 bucks? someone with a bigger truck and a winch...fill up their gas tank for them and tell them "lets get movin" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine has one of those that you hook over a ball hitch and run a line to the cig lighter. It works OK, its slow and kind of scary (I was waiting for that little line to snap). He likes it and has used it to pull out a 2000 quadcab a couple times. Pulled my blazer across flat pavement in park.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A tow strap and a buddy with a 4x4 is much cheaper than a winch.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have used a high lift to get myself out more times than I can count.
    Definately alot more work than a winch but if you do not have one it is better than leaving your rig and walking for help.
    I made attach points for the top of the jack and the where the jack would go under the bumper. After the strap slipped off I made it so that it will always stay on no matter the pulling angle.
    Having two people to rig everything up is a big plus, but I have done it by myself alot.
    Rig the top part of the jack to the attach point on your bumper (you do have attach points on the bumpers?) then I attach my chain to whatever is handy (you do have a tree saver?). after the the first time of doing this I realized that by the time I had worked the jack enough to take the slack out of the chain there was barely any jack left. So now I have a load binder that I attach to the chain and pull it all tight before I sart to jack. that now gives me about 4 feet of pulling distance, which is often enough to get me out.
    Now while I do not recomend anyone doing this.. I have also had instances where it became impossible to work the jack due to being in a bad stuck, I turn up the idle to about 1200, straighten the front wheels and using the seatbelt I lock the steering wheel into position. Then while in low range I put it into reverse or low and then start jacking,
    usualy after a few clicks it pops out and will start to creep on it's own, but since it is in low range and low it isn't going anywhere fast enough that I cannot get to it and put it into nuetral.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I have a 4 ton come-along that seems to work pretty good. I've only used it once and that was to drag a 86 F150 onto a car dolly. It did it without a hint of complaint but it wore out my arms. I think I paid $50 for it or something a few years ago. You could buy that and some 7/16" high test chain. Chain is very strong except in the event of a shock load.

I wish I had a 60" Hi-Lift though.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Remember if your K5 weighs 5K and you have a 5K comealong, you aren't winching the damn thing while it's hanging in the air...HOPEFULLY /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So it's probably enough....for minor emergencies, to be used sometimes, to get unstuck.

10. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I thought a stuck blazer that weighs 5K would be much more of a load than 5K. Is 3/8 cable strong enough? I'm going to be the biggest rig out there, so I'm kind of the anchor... If I get stuck, nobody is moving...

thanx

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I was checking out the pics left by DieselBurb, and I thought that it looks to me that they are using the hi-lift as a winch using tow straps. Maybe they aren't tow straps and it is just my eyes, but if they are tow straps it seems incorrect to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Nevermind... After further reading I now see that it is a tree saver that the dood is using. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If it is a tow strap or a tree saver then it is alright. They only stretch half a dozen inches per 10' or so. Recovery straps, on the other hand, stretch far more and wouldn't serve much use with a Hi-Lift.

14. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Recovery strap was the intended term. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

A good hand winch/come along is nice to have too.
    Not sure what mine is rated at, looks to be 3 ton or so. It's called a Lug All, made in Pennsylvania. Big aluminum body, 2 footlever can be used as a single cable or with the block that is on it. Has 5/16" on it.
    But unless it is something real easy to pull out of I won't use it by itself. Something about being right next to 20' of cable and being cut in half if it breaks makes me a little twitchy.
    If you have ever seen a winch cable break and what that does to a rig. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I believe High Lift sells a winch kit for their jacks.
    I used to have rear panels but they were removed long ago. On each side of the wheel wells there are mounting brackets for the panels, I drilled them out to 3/8" and installed bolts in them. Then the high lift sits on top of the wheel well and I use butterfly nuts to secure it. Out of the way and easy to get to.