Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Next forum upgrade teaser

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Sep 5, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This is a list of some of the new user features that are coming in the next forum upgrade, just an FYI kind of thing.

The biggest is we are finally getting a calender and the rewoking of the search feature. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-------------------------------------
    Added a calendar system that can be used for showing public/private events and birthdays.

Reworked the entire poll system, this supports multiple questions within a single poll, options for users to vote for more than 1 option, start/stop time and a few other options.

Added a new profile option for birthday along with a setting to have this displayed in the user's profile and in the calendar.

Added a user display preference that allows them to choose what format they want their times displayed in.

Added a modification to only show a homepage icon on the member list to prevent long url's from stretching the tables.

Added a column to display the user's avatars on the member list.

Added an option to show the user's age when displaying birthdays.

Added an option to show today's birthdays on the main forum listing.

Modified the online table to store things a bit differently. This allows for showing the number of users viewing each forum on the main ubbthreads page without adding any extra queries.

Added in an option when viewing a user's profile to ignore a user. Posts from ignored users will still be shown to preserve the flow of a conversation, however the body of ignored user's posts will be set to "You are ignoring this user."

Added a birthday image next to the user's username on showflat/showthreaded when it is their birthday.

Added a new option when creating a main topic that creates a calendar event for a specified day for that topic. Events will not be displayed on the calendar if the topic is in a forum that a user doesn't have read access to.

Reworked the search engine. New options include searching only subjects or subjects and body. Searching for keywords by a particular user. Searching between a date range, older than a certain date, newer than a certain date. Showing a preview of the post body with the results. More complex searches using + (required word) and - (posts that don't contain a word).

Cut 2 queries out of postlist.php

Cut 1 query out of showflat.php.

Cut 1 query out of showthreaded.php

Cut another query out of showflat.php if there are no unread posts in the thread.

Made some modifications to the indexes on the Posts table. This will substantially reduce the number of rows needing to be searched on the postlist/showflat/showthreaded screens.

Added option to make a post sticky when creating it by selecting a checkbox. (admin and mods)

Moved all thread management tools, move thread, stick/unstick thread, delete thread, (un)lock thread and (un)keep thread out of the edit post screen and down to the bottom of showflat/showthreaded. This will make managing threads a bit quicker and easier for admins/moderators.

Added an option for users to choose if they want their signature attached to a post when creating it or editing it.

Modified movepost/movethread so it returns you to the original forum instead of the forum you moved the post/thread to.

Reworked the forum listing under the subscriptions portion of the user profile so it lists what category each forum belongs to. Useful if you have forums with the same name under multiple categories.

Made some changes so posts with polls in them can be edited. The poll itself is not editable, but any text within the post will be.

Added a maintenance section into the "My Home" area. Added a link to the "My Cookies" utility and move the "Mark all Read" from the navigation bar into this section.

Reworked the navigation menu. Added a welcome username line and made the nav links into 2 lines to prevent stretching on lower resolutions.

Made it possible to make a post without a post icon.

Added new config options to designate the total # of views or replies for a hot topic.

Added a new table cell on the postlist page to display the hot topic icons, sticky posts, posts with polls, closed topics, or posts with attachments.

Added a new icon on the postlist screen in the new table cell that helps designate topics that are attached to a calendar event.

Added a configurable caching system to cache some things that don't change that often. At this point, that includes total # of users, newest user and today's birthdays. This cuts off 3 queries from the main page when used.

Using the new caching table, added a stat to the main page that shows the max # of users that were ever online.

Added the name of the person who created the calendar event when viewing events for a particular day.

Added a pagination routine for jumping around between pages within a forum. This is basically a change in the display to something like 1 2 3 4 ... 48 49 51.

Added a new icon that designates a moved thread.

Added an admin config option to enable/disable the display of birthdays on the calendar.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when do we get it?

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

damn! cool

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Youv'e ben busy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Geez, Steve...is that all? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif CK5 just keeps getting better and better!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Maybe its just me, but I have been having problems with the 'My Membership' login. It never worked for me, and now I have turned blue with my expired membership cause I didnt know the date I would be expired. Is it fixable or is it just my unit here having trouble?

BTW, membership fees on the way soon. Will I be able to reuse my username since I expired?

Thx
    Mike

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm with you, I can't get it to wrk either.

8. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe its just me, but I have been having problems with the 'My Membership' login.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The "My Membership" link is part of the new system, if you registered or renewed after June 1 2003 you can use that link and will tell you when your Membership expires as well as send you a reminder email. What happened to you is your Membership just expired (from the old system) so now you can renew in the new system and use the "My Membership" link after you renew.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Will I be able to reuse my username since I expired?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Of course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudhog

yes you can keep your name /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when you renew the my membership link will work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when do we get it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Right now it is in private beta, it should go into public beta in a few weeks, I don't like to run beta's in a live enviornment so will wait until it's a full production version, I would guess late October.

11. Rob 85K5

the auto renew feature will not accept my user name?

12. mudhog

sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. CK5

14. Rob 85K5

It worked!! I tried it two days ago without success, weird.

Thanks!

15. CK5

Ahh, OK, it didn't work for your username two days ago because I had to fix the code so it would except a space in usernames and I just did that yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Whew... thanks Steve.
    BTW, do you know any USAF guys from the air base there? There is a few guys and some jets coming up here for a week next week. I will say hi to them if you know them! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
    Mike

17. Rob 85K5

10-4, Thanks again!
    Keep up the great work.

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Whew! You've been quite busy there Steve! Better sit down and have a couple Coldie's, to recoup. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank's!

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Can't wait to see it running.