Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Next loser to hit my mailbox

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 73k5blazer, May 9, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is going to feel it. Actually, I think the last guy did.
    My box is in just too perfect a place on the road and is a perfect target. About 2-3 years ago, it got hit (again) and I replaced the box with a 3/16" steel box. Very stout. It has taken many hits. The downfall, however, was the spindly little 4x4 post, and this last time the post cracked off. That had to hurt the loser who hit it. Box was undamaged.
    So I got an 8' 6x6 post, cemented that bad boy over 4' in the ground, and made up some 1/4" brackets that mount to the post with 1/2" bolts that go all the way through.
    Hopefully, the next bastard to take a swipe at it, breaks his arm, and the bat slams back and hits a window or quarter panel.

From this:
    [​IMG]

To This:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Hmmm. Steel pipe the biggest diameter you can fit underneath the box, sink it 4' (?) into cement and fill it with cement. Wind some reflective tape around so they cant' miss it, that way you have a ready argument to tell the Judge. Be ready with a fire extinguisher. :D

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

x2

or railroad tracks

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

A guy that lived around the corner from where I grew up had kind of a similiar problem. People used to cut through his yard as it was on the corner with plenty of room.

Finally he'd had enough and sank some seriously thick wall pipe about four foot into the ground but only two feet above and then to add to it painted them the same green as his grass.

Only took about two weeks to impale the guy that had been doin it.

Nowadays you'd probably get sued for it but it was effective. Took a tow truck to get the car off.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Put a big plastic sandwich bag in your mailbox filled with powdered rat pioson. The guy will freak when his eyes start itching, and he scrathces them. Then his eyes will turn into big red flaming beachballs.

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

we had an auger that was about 8' in length for one of our old mailbox post. no one ever tried to hit it.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A guy I went to school with hit one of those one night. With an aluminum bat. He fractured his arm and the bat came round and knocked out the back window on the pickup he was a passenger in. Of course he richly deserved it.:D

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For the inside of the box use a PVC pipe and put cement arround it. You will be golden from then on

9. 73k5blazer

I had thought about trying to use my parts K5's leaf spring packs for a post. But then I thought, what a waste of steel. Tha'ts good high quality steel in those springs, which I like to use for other stuff. An 8' 6x6 was only $20. I think the 6x6 will hold up pretty well. I've never had a problem with cars or a plows hitting it, too much risk there, there's a massive dropoff off the edge of the road ,like 30-40degrees where the actual post is, so it's very close to the edge of the road. Just kids with bats...so...that should get 'em thinking twice before they do it again.

10. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

back in high school some rich bastard i knew, ( his old man bought him a 2000 caddy suv when he was 14, so he had his own car to wash and crap) had the bright idea to take pumpkind and throw them at mail boxes when passing them at 60mph. they said they went boom, though i never saw it in action, as i have been told messing with a box is a felony, and didnt want to risk getting caught like he did.

as for our mail box, my old man was more afraid of someone driving over it, and used a piece of concrete storm water drain pipe, 20" diameter, leaving it about 18" up from the ground, burried about 3 feet. nothing ever happened to it.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

growing up my buddys mailbox always got backed over by the school bus of all things. His dad finally took a big coil spring off a fieldcultivator or plow or something, welded it to a disc blad which was burried 6 inchs or so down
    you could hit that thing as hard as you wanted and it would just sway back and forth, pretty fun to do when we were younger.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do like this...

[​IMG]

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I gotta go with that, could be break away and still no one would wanna play ball with that one...

14. cbbr

That's like a bomb shelter for mail. Nuclear war - only 2 things survive: cockroaches and Divorced's Mail.

15. 73k5blazer

Yeah...i've seen ones like that. That might be next if mine does manage to get damaged.
    The "nice" part about the way I did it, is it still looks like a flimsy alum box, and thus still remains a target, so the punk who hits it is going to get hurt, and mabey, just mabey, it'll stop him from takin' out other peoples boxes..

16. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You need one like this

mailbox.jpg

17. cbbr

Looks like a lot of nice parts to waste on a mailbox, but at least they have sponsers.....

18. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Near my house there is a road that kinda makes and "s" curve down a hill and when you are going downhill on the right there is a mailbox that looked very similar to divorced's, but it was in a possition such that if you did not turn sharp enough coming out of the "s", you would become its bitch. Well I went to work one night and the mailbox was there, fully intact, and then the next morning when I was coming back, there were bricks scattered for about 20 yards away from the road and a small stub of the original box left. That made me laugh, being that it was at night and this is a college town, some drunkass had to have mowed that bitch down, almost deffinately with a truck cause I'd hate to see what happened if it was a car.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the dude at the end of our road kept getting his box hit, so he built one like divorced, looked real nice, lot of intricate cuts in the brick

some kids blew it up, i knew them, they used 15 bottle rockeds all taped together, blew the whole top off the box, all the brick was demolished.

mad me laugh a little bit