Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nice birthday present -- PICS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 75-K5, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well at 6am today parents and I set out to find me "reliable transportation" as my mom put it. So, after sticking the broken down Jeep on the U-Haul trailer, we high tail it out of Bloomington. First stop is Hubler Chevy in Indianapolis. I walked in and asked to talk to the truck guy. He looked at me like I had a nutsack on my chin when I told him I wanted a 3/4 ton 4wd 5-speed. He only had one of the kind and it was a totally stripped down model, didn't even have a CD player, and it was white (YUCK) and pretty dirty. That was all he had in 3/4 ton, and the 1/2 tons they had were all about the same thing. All work trucks. He told me I wasn't going to have much luck.

Next stop, Ray Skillman GMC right next door. Pretty much the same look after I mentioned the words 5 speed. He looked at his inventory and told me out of over 100 trucks he didn't have a single one with a manual transmission. After figuring out that I was probably SOL, he said he'd search other dealers for me. Well there were no GMC's within 500 miles that fit these criteria, but he did turn up one red Chevy K2500 in Avon, which was about 30 miles from where we were at the moment. So, we called Dugan Chevrolet/Pontiac in Avon and he said yep it just came off the transport. So off we go.

We get there and he takes me out to the back lot and I get to drive it up to the building. I am instantly in love. Bright red, clean, interior is really nice. It was a base model, one step above the work truck package. It had a CD player, A/C with dual climate control, and even cruise. Everything else was manual though: windows, locks, mirrors, seats, etc. Just the way I wanted it. I told him I was amazed they had something like that on the lot, and he said it was actually not supposed to happen. Somebody had special ordered the truck through one of their sales guys, and the guy quit shortly after and the customer never followed up on the order. It was ordered for long distance towing and hauling. It had the 4.10 rear with Eaton locker, tow package (which includes 145amp alternator and heavy cooling system) and other various niceties that made it exactly the truck I would have ordered had I got one from the factory, except I probably would have ordered a Duramax or 8.1L but this one just had the 6.0, still an impressive engine.

So, after about an hour of paperwork and discussion, I drove off the lot with a 2005 Silverado 2500 Regular Cab Long Box 4WD with a 5 speed. Also decided to get the 7 year 100k mile warranty.:D Me is happy, pics tomorrow when it's light.

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Nice, now bring it to my house and you can drive away in a 2000 VW New Beetle GLS 1.8T with a 5 speed :D

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how is the 6.0 with a stick trans? Never seen one but I sure would like to.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It's not lacking for power, that's for sure. With the 4.10 rear end I don't even use first gear. My only minor complaint is it has a hard time getting into reverse, even harder than sm465's like I'm used to. Maybe that will get better with time. My neighbor also has a 6.0 with the 5 speed in a K3500 dually. I've driven it several times and it has the same issue. I also hear a clunk when letting off the clutch, but his does this as well so I imagine it's just a Chevy thing.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I really feel that the auto industry is behind the pussification of America.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nope, sorry, it's mainly televison and the educational system, along with that fun american tradtion of consumerism

Sorry for the highjack, I hope you enjoy your new truck

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Your should play the Lotto with your luck! Congrates

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Haha, I do play the lotto. In fact, I played it last Wednesday hoping I'd hit it and be able to get any truck I wanted, but I didn't hit a single number.:p:

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What made you decide on a regular cab?

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

it was the only pickup with a 5speed in Indiana from the sounds of it

Jon its about time! Congrates on the new truck, I dont even want to know what the payments are :p:

PICS DAMNIT!

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually, the reason I asked is he did not specify an ext. cab in his intial "want list". I'm jus surprised that people still buy reg. cabs due to the lack of interior space.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to piss in anybody's cornflakes. I wish I had the coin to go buy ANY new truck right now.......:frown1: Congrats on finding what you wanted, brother.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm just an old-fashioned guy.[​IMG] I wanted a regular cab. I can't hardly stand the way extended cabs look and a crew cab is just too long to drive around a college campus. I don't care about interior space. No kids to haul around and I really don't want any more than 2 people riding with me anyway. The only person who's going to be riding in the middle seat is going to have to be a hot girl who enjoys a big stick between her legs.[​IMG]

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

One thing I am fairly pissed about it when I got it home and looked it over really well (which I should have done at the lot but didn't) was that there is rust in a lot of places! The control arms have surface rust on them, a couple of the front suspension bolts are rusty, and there are a couple places on the frame where the paint chipped off and it's rusting! WTF, I thought they quit offering rust as an option in the late 90's! They better take care of that for free, the salesman told me rust is covered under the warranty. When it hits 500 miles and the break-in period is over I'm heading up there to the dealer to have them switch it over to synthetic oil and fix that damn rust.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it should be synthetic from the factory boss. My buddy's 04 1500 was so is my Dad's 04 2500HD. My next truck I want at least an extended cab, if I get a good enough job the goal is a newer 2500HD CrewCab with a shortbed. Shortbed won't get used as much but is that such a horrible thing? I beat my rigs, I junk up a single cab. More space in the cab could mean more junk, and less space in the bed could mean beat less.... yeah like that will happen.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would wait a lot longer than 500 miles to switch to synthetic oil. I'd say go at least 5-6,000.

I am jealous that you were able to find a truck and I had to order one. :(

I should be picking mine up March 8th.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congrats Jon, sounds like a nice score! Is that 5 speed the NV4500 or something else now?

Rene

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So where's the pics ??

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Congrats on the new "reliable transportation"! That sounds a lot like my friend's truck, only his has power windows/locks. It is a '03 reg cab, long bed, 2500HD, 6.0, 5 speed, 4.10's. At just under 28,000 miles he yanked the IFS and put a Ford D60 under it.

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

March 8th isn't too long to wait to get a truck exactly like you want. :thumb:

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I doubt it's the NV4500 but it might be. The 6-speeds are ZF trannies. I couldn't find it on the internet, and the manual doesn't give the model number. :dunno:

:yikes: A SFA swap would be really cool, but I don't think I'm doing that anytime soon.

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

PICS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]