Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nice burb options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big_truxx, Jan 19, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I really do not know much about burbs. I do know that they are gorwing on me greatly and I would love to have one parked in the garage (after I get that built) to strip down and rebuild as a family/travel type rig. I have no idea about how common some of the options would be. Maybe some of you burb gurus can help. The options I am really interested in are a/c with the rear heater-a/c setup (which I nothing about just read somewhere they had it) and the rear barn doors. How common are these two options? And are there different years that do or do not have them? Also I'm thinking of 73-91 body style. Most likely 81-91 is what I will end up with. I preffer 81-85ish (before injection) but I will end up with whatever is best for the rear heat-a/c and bard doors I reckon. Or is it easy to add rear heat a/c? Can you just take a tailgate setup off and add barn doors? Or is that a lot of custom work?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

good thinking truxx, subs are where its at.

the barndoors tailgate split is about 50/50. (i unfortunatly got tail gate:()
    you can swap the gate to barn doors and is easyer in the 70s trucks but can still be done with a little work, talk to muddytazz he has done this swap a few times.

a/c is farly common i have seen it quite often, as well with rear heat. the steel lines that feed the rear tend to rot, no biggy though, rear a/c i am not as sure about i think you will find it on 8 passenger modles more than anything. that what mine is. (i already took mine off and sold it)

you wont find many manual tranny burbs out there but there are some.

if you want a ton of options find a 91 it the last year of the body style but have all the newer options, like power mirrors (plastic) over head console and a few other goodys.

if you want more size go older, the 70s one were a little longer iam tolled ( something like 2-3 inchs:dunno:)

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I did see that burb. Was interesting. But currently I am broke & going through a divorce. And also that was 1500 plus miles away. And where it was a diesel that was cool bonus. Not bad for someone ooking for a rig in great body shape as far as I could tell and wants to do some work to it. But for the price and the work it'd need for the distance I would have to travel it wouldn;t work out for me even if I did have the $$. I am trying to do my research so I can know what I need to in order to go and get what I want when I can. I try to always think and plan ahead and do my homework beforehand as I get myself in less trouble that way. :grin: And IIRC muddytazz found a 4x4 sub w/ doors minus motor/trans/transfer for $200 and was in excelent shape. That's the type of thing I look for. I love to work on things and not pay a lot for the initial project itself when possible.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I am burb boy. My 91 V2500 sub came with all the options except power mirrors (they would have been nice). It has rear heater, rear a/c and defoggers on the rear windows. The rear heater is just plain gay. Given, I live in south texas and its typicaly 70 degrees in january BUT, the heater is a ****ty design nonetheless. It is in the very back passenger side of the cargo area behind the wheelwell but it protrudes into the cargo area. It is basically the same as the front heater, core with electric motor and fan, all housed in a very flimsy plastic case that will get beat to **** if anything touches it. On my rear heater, one day it randomly started litterally squirting coolant all over my rear carpet, so I took the stupid thing out since I never use it anyway. Anyway, the rear heater sucks but I imagine in your area it would be worth having, but I would highly recomend fabricating a beefy cage to put over it and bolt down to the floor. On to the rear a/c. This **** is a godsend. As stated before I live in south texas where 100 degrees isnt uncommon in the summer, and a suburban is an awful big bitch to cool. The rear a/c makes a difference to people riding in the FRONT seat. My suburban doesnt have a 3rd row seat but the back seat passengers benefit greatly from that rear a/c. It is the shiznit. Since it never gets cold here, I've only had to use the rear defog once, but it sure was nice to have and has never caused any problems. BTW I have barndoors and it seems to me that there is an overwhelming bias towards barndoors on burbs, out of all the ones I've had or dealt with, only 1 has a tailgate. I have driven one burb with power mirrors and they look cool and are very functional so I'd say they are worth procuring. As far as other options, hold out for a 91 3/4 ton, the 4L80E is DEFFINATELY worth having. You get the strength and the overdrive without having to worry about shelling out $$$ for a badass 700R4.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Also the 87 and newer ones are injected. I am looking for a simpler setup. I do not need power mirrors or anything fancy like that. I am looking for something simple to start to fix up in a bit. As far as the 4l803... I know they are much better but also thought they are electrically shifted aren't they? I'm a "Give me a carb and hold the side of electric stuff please" guy. :grin: I dunno what tranny I would want in it. I was thinkin start out with a 400/205 combo, but then again OD would be nice ot have too...

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the rear a/c but it didnt have freon in it when I bought it and dont really need a/c over here, but it will need to filled before I go back this year :D
    I like my tailgate the window froze alot so I couldnt get it down but I fixed that last winter. Mine also has a 465 which is nice, till I find a nv4500 :D

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

The 465 was rare so I've read. I would rather have an auto in my burb as it would see mostly road trip type use. Going to town taking a trip etc. And I already have a 454/465/205 in my 84 crew dually :grin:

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Aroman006 pretty much nailed it.
    91 last year for solid axles; rear A/C a must if you've got warm summers rear heater takes up precious cargo space! (about a 12 pack worth on a camping trip!! :) )... and barn doors are nice. The 454 wasn't avail in 4x4 until somewheres after 91 (know they were avail in 97 as i almost bought one of those).
    Mine is a 91 1500 4x4 w/ a/c & barn doors, no rear heat. I also added a luggage rack and 2 extra lug-nuts on each corner (i swapped to a 14FF w/4:10s). NO rear defrost (which i don't miss too much. Tinted windows and use the outside mirrors a LOT more than the inside one!!)
    3/4 ton is mucho better! but dam hard to find!
    If you're going to pull anything bigger than a postage stamp with the 1/2 ton, get a tranny cooler ! probably good for the 3/4 too!
    Good luck hunting one down! I looked 18 months, then found this one in San Antonio! (i was living in Colorado @ the time!). It was a 1 owner and ultra-clean! Made the hunt worth-while!