Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nice trailer...i mean jeep.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 30, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i did some light wheeling on saturday. a little mud, some fun loose-rock hill-climbs, off-camber goofing around, etc.

there's a fairly steep hill-climb at the edge of the woods that i took with ease in 4hi at about 1/3 throttle. this same hill ate my friend's lunch in his 90 wrangler, a few weeks ago. anyway, this time, a 2007 rubi and an older cherokee (6" lift and 33s) tried to follow me. the rubi made it about 2/3 of the way (4low and locked :haha:). after about 10 minutes, he got tired of chewing up his sidewalls and testing his skidplates. so i BACKED down this hill and pulled him up. the cherokee had it worse. he made it maybe halfway and high-centered on a small ledge. so i backed down again, and dragged him up, too. both guys were very embarrassed that my stock 82 k5 (yep open 10bolts and no lift) actually took a hill they couldn't, then took it again, twice, with each of them in-tow. and i never dropped it into 4low. but, hey, my rig isn't "trail rated" and covered in chrome bling, so it's worthless out there, right :rolleyes: ? i do sort of wish i'd had the top on, though. i kicked up a lot of gravel and dust pulling the cherokee out. now my interior has a light grey film. better than what happened to the hoods, grills and windshields of both jeeps, though. oops. they've been initiated, offroad style.

2. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

haha funny how Blazers and other full sized rigs are all ways pullin out the "Trail rated" jeeps. I have a frend with a 1990 YJ arb air lockers front and rear 33' bfgs, I have pulled him out once or thirty times lol.

(for some reason when he is stuck in the mud he doesnt think it is as amusing as i do to drive circles arownd him befor i pull him out):D

3. justiz00

justiz00 Registered Member

I have seen several occations where heavy trucks with narrow tires climb easier than lighter vehicles with wider tires. And the same heavy trucks with balloon tires have trouble climbing after the upgrade (same OD on the tires). I guess it has something to do with ground pressure exerted??