Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nine blade fan & HD clutch ???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tarussell, Dec 14, 2004.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I started to do some research a while back on a strong fan clutch/fan set up and I remember a 6.5TD coming with a nine blade fan and a stout fan clutch. My question is this - Are the bolt patterns the same on the diesel fan clutches just like the gas burner GM stuff ?
    The application this will be used in is a serpintine belt set up and if memory serves me correctly the 6.5 TD stuff runs on the back of the belt and turns the same as the gas engines of similar years --- Is this correct ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks , Tom

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If you are indeed running a serpentine setup, i think your OK. if not, no matter, they do make a reverse rotation.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

So the bolt pattern is the same ???

Thanks , Tom

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I went by my favorite GM parts department today and dug through the books and found what I needed. it looks like the bolt pattern is the same between the 6.2/6.5 stuff and the gasoline offerings.

If it helps anyone the parts numbers are :
    GM 15021599 20" dia. 9 blade fan
    GM 15022300 fan clutch w/ HD trailer equipment 7.28 inch dia.

There might be better parts out there but this is a fairly good set up for a reverse drive set up .
    Thanks for the in put , Tom

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I know this is an old post, but I just want to clear things up for my own benefit. To use the GM 9 blade clutch/fan assembly on an older 6.2 with V-belts, you use reverse rotation? If you have a factory serpentine setup, you use standard rotation? Am I correct or just really confused?

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know this post is two years old, but I would like to know this too. Also does anyone have the part number for the reverse rotation fan if its the one for V-belts?

Thanks,

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge all "V" belt driven pulleys are standard rotation. The most effective set up that I have found is a mid eighties GM seven blade fan ( with heavy pitch ) and a fan clutch that fits a BBC equiped truck that came with 4.56 gears ( yes , it makes a difference ). I have ran this set up on more trucks than I can recall and it works FANTASTIC !

Hope this helps , Tom