Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nissan Titan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Jul 15, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Call me crazy but the more I see those Titans the more I dig them. There was a loaded crew cab 4x4 at the mall today and I took a few minutes to check it out. The fit and finish are really nice, there's pretty good leg in the front and back. The styling grows on you, kind of like when Dodge came out with the 94-01 body style. 305hp 5.6L v8, 5spd auto sounds good to me. It had some pretty cool features like rear dvd entertainment system. One problem I do have though is the bed is pretty short even for a short bed. Also the lack of aftermarket support at this time is not cool. Since my Blazer Project is stalled I might look at picking one of those bad boys up. What have you guys heard or seen of them?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have seen them, and heard of them , the mags tested them . I still won't buy one . The company that owns Nissan is based overseas , even if it was made here by our hands , any profits go back overseas . You can buy whatever you like as you ARE in America /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

nissan had a couple of them at the sema show last year down in vegas that were already fixed up real nice and at first I couldnt even tell what the hell it was.
    they almost looked like custom desert race trucks.
    if they sold them that way I would be interested but not much out there will stand up to my cummins dodge for the weight that I pull so I will stick with what I got for quite a while.

good luck if you buy one but im not a big fan of new production vehicles until they are proven over a couple of years.

and the whole only buy american theme runs real deep even though its real hard to honestly find something that is actually made here and the money staying. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Your assuming that buying something from the big 3=made in USA. Thats a terribly wrong assumption, and I doubt that you'll find "everything made in USA".

Dont forget, that cars like the TOYOTA camry, are acutally built in the U.S. as well as most new hondas. They are in fact, U.S. production plants, with american workers. My k5 shows a non u.s. build code.

So just cause it has an american name on it, doesnt make it american, and putting a japanese company name on something, doesnt make it built in Japan.

The taxes in U.S. have forced japanese companies to build their vehicles here- because the U.S. imposes a huge tax on "imported" items. Hence it is cheaper to build them here.

Its funny how I dont see people complaining about European vehicles. BMW's Audi's MErcedes... I dont see anyone saying "Dont buy the european cars!!!!".

And mind you, about the only one of those vehicles built in the U.S. is the x5.

I try to buy "american built" as much as possible, not "american marketed and labeled" as most products are nowadays.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I did say he can buy whatever he wants . I own a 21 year old truck made here . My wife owns whatever she wants , at least it says Chevy . I understand some foreign owned vehicles are made here , and it supplies US jobs , but what IF no one bought those vehicles , there would be more demand for big 3 vehicles and those companies could supply the same jobs /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I did say he can buy whatever he wants . I own a 21 year old truck made here . My wife owns whatever she wants , at least it says Chevy . I understand some foreign owned vehicles are made here , and it supplies US jobs , but what IF no one bought those vehicles , there would be more demand for big 3 vehicles and those companies could supply the same jobs /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

im all for the big three and will always stay that way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Big 3? What big 3? Chrysler sold out to Daimler-Benz years ago.

A Dodge is no more American than a Volkswagon if you ask me.

Big two is what it should be called.

Jap cars might be assembled in america but all the machine work and the parts are nearly all manufactured overseas.

8. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I'm Sorry but the fact is that buying from the big three is not buying from America. The automobile Industry supports global economy and not just the countries in which the companies were originated. I personally sell Acura's and Our cars are buil in Alabama, or will be shortly, Maryland Ohio, Ontartio, Canada, and Japan. MOst of the Hondas are also built in the American plants. I understand supporting America and I am all for it but we have to be a little open minded in todays automobile Market. After the Eighties nothing has really been the same and you should really buy the car that is rated the best and suits your needs. I like American trucks But quite frankly there a lot of imported cars that are a way better purchase then what some of our big three have to offer. I would love nothing more than to buy and drive an American car, but it has to be worth it.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your cars are not, "built" in America. They're assembled here. They're still not any more american than they were 30 years ago.

Only reason they're assembled here is to avoid a tarriff anyway.....

10. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

All I was saying if you think that your doing something terribble to our country by buyin a product that says anything besides Chevy or Ford you may be mistaken. If you found out some of the design influence from some of there import peers you may be a little dissapointed. The facts is that American Cars and Trucks have not been that American since about 1975-80 Before that time we had real American, built here, shipped, sold here, bought here, and driven here trucks and cars. but not so much any more.

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

oh and when I said I would only buy the big three.
    that meant trucks I have no reason to ever buy a car /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh and when I said I would only buy the big three.
    that meant trucks I have no reason to ever buy a car /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifWell Said

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    All I was saying if you think that your doing something terribble to our country by buyin a product that says anything besides Chevy or Ford you may be mistaken. If you found out some of the design influence from some of there import peers you may be a little dissapointed. The facts is that American Cars and Trucks have not been that American since about 1975-80 Before that time we had real American, built here, shipped, sold here, bought here, and driven here trucks and cars. but not so much any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd certainly rather have a car built in mexico than Japan.

14. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

So, If a car's manufacurers city of origin is Japanese then you would not buy it? Even if it is assembled in Mexico? What if it is designed by Amercan companies, built by Mexico, and built of parts from Through out the world? or what if one part of that American vehicle is built by another country? Because I can promise that almost none of the Computer parts in any american cars are buil, deisigned or even assembled in America

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

And I can promise you nearly all of a Toyota, including the headlight bulbs that come in it from the factory, are manufactured in Japan.

The arguement that a Jap car is more American than an American car is a bunch of crap if you ask me. The Japs have brainwashed many Americans into thinking they get better quality in a Jap car, and that they're, "Made in USA".

Well...I've got news for you.

1. I've got shelves full of parts for imports and they sell just as well or better than parts for American cars.

2. Nearly every part imaginable of a Japanese car is manufactured overseas.

16. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

That is the point. Most parts are manufactured overseas. INCLUDING AMERICAN car parts. The main part that I am expressing and I am not happy with myself. Is that these tracks we all love and appreciate are not nearly as American as they could be.

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My K5 has a little sticker on the drivers side door "GM TRUCK PLANT OF FLINT" I'm proud to drive it. Every single vehicle in my family is chevy. Dad 99 silverado 1500 z71, mom 98 blazer and 01 cav, brother 92 lumina and 94 silverado 2500 4x4, Me 90k5 and 94 Corsica(Gas milage cant beat 26mpg) Just thought id through that in

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well we must have good luck with japanese cars. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif we had a 91' eclipes that thing ran sweet for 12 years till the computer went out in jan 04'. we also have an 95' rodeo that thing never gives us problems that thing is the family taxi. my moms new car is an 03' mitsubitshi galant v6 and that thing is pimp and so far so good. the only american we have is my suburban /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I see alot more american cars breaking down more than foreign(sp?). when and if I ever buy a new car in the future it's going to be an Foreign car.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I see alot more american cars breaking down more than foreign(sp?). when and if I ever buy a new car in the future it's going to be an Foreign car.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because there are far more American cars on the road than foreign.

I quoted a guy $400 for a computer for a 3 year old Mitsubishi just today.

Starters $300, alternators the same, brakes more expensive, rotors of shitty quality, ball joints and CV axles that are constantly worn out.

Just makes no sense to me at all with some of the parts I sell.....head gasket and reman cylinder head and timing belt for a 1994 Toyota Camry. Who would fix such a POS? I bet you couldn't get the cost of the repair bill for the whole car.....but every day, I sell parts for things like this, and I still can't figure out why.

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

well maybe in the mid west, but here on the west coast there about equal. I went to vegas a couple of months ago and saw alot of american suvs and cars on the side of the highways. My moms boss owns 3 american dealerships can't think of them right now. anyways every car they sell ends up coming back after a couple months to be fixed for problems they shouldn't have when there new. now My moms new to here 03' Mitsubitshi Galant zero problems since she bought in jan 04' /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif