Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nitro r/c boats?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88K5Jimmy, Feb 24, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anybody have one of these? I am looking into getting one for fun but don't have any experience with r/c boats. I know I want a nitro one. I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro Vee because of the return to shore option (a little electric motor turns on if the boat stalls in the middle of the lake) but have read some not so encouraging news about them.

Or does anybody know of any kits that would use a weedeater motor? I either want a fun one to play around with or one that is just sick /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i never had a nitro boat, but i came close to buyin the nitro-vee to replace my electric boat. i liked it cause its got a clutch, which will let it idle in place, whereas other boats are direct drive and will wander if the motor is running. what bad stuff have you heard about the nitro-vee?

as for a boat that runs off a weedeater, ive only seen one or two like that, and they were hella expensive, very large, and very, very cool. fast as hell /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've read that the hulls tend to crack after a few runs and they have some cooling issues. However, I think if you were able to lay some extra fiberglass or perhaps carbon fiber on the inside of the hull you sould solve that. I have also read of a way to fix the cooling problem by upgrading that as well.

Ohh they also said to ditch the factory prop and get another one.

I too like the idle factor and the return to shore option as well.

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I am into nitro boats on an extreme level,I have 5 boats all that run 70 to 100 mph. I run several classes in the IMPBA (international model power boat association) The boats run on 50% to 65 % nitromethane.the rest being alcohol and synthetic lube. The classes I run are .20 hydro,
    .60 hydro,.90 mono,.90 hydro and twin engine .90 hydro.
    The hydros are Andy brown kits and the mono Is a Husselcraft.

are they fast?,,,,yes,,,are they expensive,,,,,very.

the engines are all needle and ball bearing constructed and turn 28,000 rpm. no thats not a misprint. We run on an oval course that has 70 ft radius turns and 660 ft straightaways
    or about 1/3 mile for two laps. The twin engine .90 is capable of 10 second lap times. The races are 6 laps with 6 or 7 boats per heat.when the race starts it's all over in about 90 seconds or so. Picture 7 boats all doing in excess of 90 mph all throwing up 30 ft roostertails going into a 70 ft radius turn inchs apart,,,pretty intense. The average boat, motor,support equipment, radio, can cost upwards of $2500.00 per boat.The club has a drivers stand and a boat to go out and retrive the dead boats.The races are organized and last all weekend,with many competitors coming from other states.They do have entry level class racing with weedeater motors( I guess ya gotta start somewhere)
    Belive me weedeater engined boats are toy's and can't run near the speed of a nitro powered boat.have fun but beware, it's like a K5 thing once ya start it's hard to stop. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i had a 4 wheel drive rc nitro car that is prety fun. if i were to do it again id get one on ebay or a trader mag. theyrs not too much resale on them and they can be fixed for prety cheap. the motors on the cars will burn out fast though. only meant to go through like 3 gallons befor theyre junk.