Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NITROUS!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 14, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

A couple friends of mine are trying to tell me I need nitrous for my mud truck. I'm currently running a stock tbi 350. Will I see any gains from putting the tired old engine on the bottle? I'm very easy on my engine and I'd keep my cool with the laughing gas (while the bottle valve was off!) How long will the engine last and is it worth it? Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

How long will it last?
    Who knows
    The little I have read about it , they say it will not harm an engine used in moderation , with a little shot
    The large shots I think would require an engine built to handle it
    As for is it worth it , if you can afford to get and run it , why not it could be fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you were to get some, I'd get the lowesr amount possible in a single shot, and use moderation. Since your engine is stock, it won;t beable to handle the extra "umph" from the nitrous.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

heres a link, from a post I had a while back, the first bit is slow, but in the middle it has some pics of an engine using nitrous... etc. N.

5. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

Have your motor redone for the bottle. Once you install the nitrous you will not be able to keep your finger off the button! Nitrous has a way of finding the weak part of your engine!! Just my 2 cents worth.

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you might need it to turn those 44's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm no expert on NOS but have done some reading up on it. I would go with 150HP wet system if I were gona do it. I like the wet systems due to the fact that you aren't as likely to run it lean and blow something up. "Likely" being the key word. Still entirely possible I'm sure. If your motor is a little loose that's probably a good thing too.

8. TruckNutzDude

I was going to run a wet system. My buddy suggested the wet vs. the dry for the same reason you mentioned Kert. I am hoping to save some money this winter to build another small block, but I will be keeping an eye out for a TBI 454. I'll probably end up with a small block on laughing gas though, cheaper to rebuild, better on gas and lighter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you need one of these [​IMG]

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

so do I /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    you need one of these [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every body needs one of them! Let's see some pics of when that nitrous is on there. I want one of a full squeeze run through the pit.

12. TruckNutzDude

I'll bet it's a lot more reliable than using the bottle... That thing is an angry beast, using the bottle on my small block is like feeding a baby. I'll get a few short bursts of energy and then crawl to the end of the pit. Anyone got some spare diapers for when my engine craps out on me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

When using nitrious, It is IMPORTANT to remember that ANY dip in fuel pressure will kill you! If you run a wet system, which I would with the TBI, you have to make sure there is enough fuel flow. Stock TBI pumps are NOT made to push as much fuel as you may need. One of the keys to keeping a stock or mild engine to last, is SAFETY devices. Low fuel prussure cut off, ignition retards, If you are running some kind of rev limiter, the nitrious MUST be shut off before the ignition is pulsed, or it's KABOOOM!!

When we were racing street with Nitrious, We used Jacobs "nitrious Mastermind" controllers. They have your safety cutoffs built in, your ignition retards, they shut off your Nitrious 50 RPM before your ignition gets pulsed for rev control, Thet are also a progressive set up for the juice. You can set it to start at a certian RPM at 25% and slowly pick up to 100% as RPM's build. MUCH safer than many W.O.T. set ups. This GREATLY reduces the Initial engine shock when the juice is applied. The use of this controller, will allow you to use a larger kit, safely, on an old tired engine! If engine RPM's are not high enough when the button is pressed, rods bend.

Depending on the size of the kit you plan on using, I would consider a seperate fuel line just for the Nitrious system. If you are just gonna stick with a stock system, I would stay with a 100 hp type set up.

ALTHOUGH, Nothing will achieve the visual impact of A BIG 'OLE BLOWER!!! Nitrious, if used CORRECTLY can give you some awesome, RELIABLE power gains.