Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nitto Terra Grapplers *Pics now*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Has anyone heard anything about these tires? I checked out a set today; they look like a pretty good AT tire. They were some 305/85R18 or something like that...bling blingin on 18's, biiiiaaatch! Any cons to running 18 inch wheels, besides the potential flaming?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: Nitto Terra Grapplers

I have read several articles on them, the most recent being 4 Wheel and Off Road May.

All write ups seemed to like them from what I've read....

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

The local tire shop I do business with sells them and I mean he sells a ton of them. He (owner of the shop) has them on his personal truck with the 18" rim and they look pretty sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif He says they balance really well, compared to a bfg, and get great mileage out of them. I would have went witht them on my new tow rig, but I wanted something with a little more agrresive tread. I think they would make an excellent on road tire and light duty off road tire from I have heard and read.

Just my .02 worth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

All the information I have read on them today seems to indicate they are great tires. They look pretty good, and the size (correction 325/60R18) is good; equating to about a 33x13 tire. I am still afraid of the 'bling factor' associated with the 18's. I am not sure I want to be the first kid on the block with a K5 on 18's. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif However, they are very light for a tire/wheel combo of this size. They are on some 18x9 wheels, and the whole combo weighs in at a paltry 78 pounds. Not bad for some 33's mounted up, IMO. I took one to test fit this evening, I will take some pics to get feedback on these suckers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The only thing is the 18's are prone to more rock damage compared to 15's or 16's. Less tire is protecting the wheel. Any reason you want an 18" wheel?

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing is the 18's are prone to more rock damage compared to 15's or 16's

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a concern, this particular rig will most likely never see a rock. These are going on a daily driver 86 K5, and the most I will do with is is light mud and some trails.

[ QUOTE ]
    Any reason you want an 18" wheel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily want one, I just found a great deal today at a local tire shop on these Nittos and wheels. They are all mounted up, balanced, etc. Just considering it since I am in the market for a new set of 33's and wheels.

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If you're getting a good deal, then I'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Why don't You just admit that You want 18's so they will match your shag carpet and pink fuzzy dice. That way you can be a real "Pimp Dawg" /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Four Wheeler did a test on these. They said they are good on packed dirt and rock, awesome in sand , but really suck in the mud. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Shop around if you can. I found them locally in tennessee for $144 each 315-75-16, but the tire company had 248 on order. Delivery ETA???????????

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Alright, I snagged one from the guy to see if it would mount up OK. With an 18 inch wheel, there are no clearance issues, even with 5.5" backspacing. Here are a couple pics; sorry about the quality, swinging the front axle took longer than I had anticipated (pizza break /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) Anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's what they look like on a rig with 4" Tuff Country springs, ORD Heavy Duty shackles, and a .5" Zero Rate.

The tires measure an actual 32.5" tall, but they are obviously low on pressure, so I would guess they will measure a full 33" when aired up. The tread width is ~12".

Now for a question; I want these things, but I feel that lug nut engagement may be an issue the way things sit. With an open-ended acorn lug nut, the end of the wheel stud is flush with the open end of the lug nut when the lugs are tightened down. The stud does not protrude at all through the lug nut. How much of an issue is this? I have no idea what is acceptable, so input is appreciated. Flame away about the 18's biaaaatches!

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why don't You just admit that You want 18's so they will match your shag carpet and pink fuzzy dice. That way you can be a real "Pimp Dawg"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget my Type R stickers, NOS floormats, coffee can exhaust tips, and aerodynamic wing. By the way, the dice are BLUE! [​IMG] Bastid.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those wheels look nice, but the tires look too short for that 4-inch lift. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Why not keep those 35-inch AT's that you have for sale and mount those on that rig? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not keep those 35-inch AT's that you have for sale and mount those on that rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sold em already. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Little tip tech I learnt over the weekend during tech inspection at the race, at least 1.5 threads showing on the outside. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just MHO those don't look right on that generation K5. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifThey're too short and wide with no real meat hanging off them. Maybe if they were taller, I dunno know. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I kinda like the illusion that they aren't a 'big' tire. Most of the width tucks under the truck due to the huge offset of the wheels...I'm just not sure about it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I think they look good. My only concern is that with that much BS, are you gonna be hitting steering parts or the springs at full turn?

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the springs at full lock, I will have to test that part out. They clear the rest of the hardware, though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Get this; at the tire place where these are FS, the tech told me that if the tires rubbed on something, I could just get some 1.5" spacers for the front and that would solve the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I hope he's not selling that $hit to other guys to 'make em fit'.

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

General rule in aviation is a minimum of 2 threads showing through a nut after torque is applied.
    Wheels are pretty critical items; are you sure you're using the correct type of lugnut for that wheel?? I'd confirm that before laying out any green...