Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NJ PEOPLE ..emissions inspection sticker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jan 12, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Is the inspection sticker for a lifted vehicle the same as all cars in NJ? If you have to go for special inspection and pass, do you get a sticker especially for that special inspection?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

anyone? If you have a lift and live in NJ, I could use your help here

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">After 4" of lift you need to go to stability inspection.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, but after I go to the stability test and pass(i hope), will I have a normal inspection sticker(like all cars) or is it a special one for lifted vehicles?

5. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

You get two stickers. One standard inspection sticker like everyone else and one lifted vehicle sticker. If you're intentions were to have a "friend" inspect your truck and give you a sticker, it won't do you any good without the lifted vehicle sticker. The cops will nail you anyway and your "friend" will lose his inspection license.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Both. Theres a station in Morristown, and you have to schedule it in advance. You take both tests at once, and if you fail any portion (regular inspection or stability) you fail everything. I have found ways around it, but from what I've heard it's easy to pass.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Do the slick thing...buy a 78 or older truck and register it as a classic or antique vehicle, one time registration, and $150 a year in insurance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well it is a 77.....does the DMV expect the vehicle to be a classic restoration or can a dirty 77 be registered as classic with no problems? Is this the route you took and how much trouble was it?

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I can find out all the details later on when my cousin comes home, he has 2 ford model t's setup this way.

10. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Pete where did you find insurance for $150 a year! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

A buddy of mine looked into that and it will only work if the vehicle is bone stock and in really really nice shape. They want you to submit pictures and you can't drive it daily with those plates.

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Something else to add.

You get the two stickers up front from a "special insection station" (there are 3 I believe). One is the normal inspection sticker and one says how much lift you have on and that you passed the "stability test". After that, you don't have to redo the stability test every 2 yrs. As long as you keep the same lift and tire size, you only do safety and emissions every 2 yrs.

I have to get the stability test real soon. I'm planning on writing down all the stuff they do and even snap a few pics (if they let me) so people will know exactly what happens there. There are all kinds of crazy rumors floating around about the test.

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

sounds good Panther, hopefully they let you take some pic's. let us know how it went either way. How do you make and appointment at one of these stations? At the DMV or is there a number to call?

14. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Go to this page for a press release on specialty inspection stations: <a href="http://
    <a href="http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/framed/press/press_releases1999/a991209b.html" target="_blank">
    http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/framed/press/press_releases1999/a991209b.html[/url]
    You can find out the info on those stations here:
    http://www.state.nj.us/mvs/inspectionA.htm

I'm pretty sure you have to call the special inspection stations to make an appt (that's definitely the case with Winslow). Good luck with that though. I got a number for Winslow from another inspection station AND from the Clean Air NJ people that was wrong. I had to dig the number up off the Internet. They might have the correct numbers for the other two though. Winsow's number is 609-567-0190 by the way.

I'm gonna take my camera and ask the guy if I can take pics. If he says no, I'm gonna bitch about it cause although it's privately run now, it's still required by the state and I think that information should be public.

15. wirex

wirex 1/2 ton status

I WENT TO MORRISTOWN FOR INSPECTION, THEY S$CK,YOU WILL BE THERE ALL DAY AND THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING TO FAIL YOU FOR, JUST TO MAKE YOU COME BACK, YOU WILL GO THERE @ LEASE 3 TIMES OR MORE, GOOD LUCK. FIND SOME TO SELL YOU A SICKER AND BE DONE WITH IT