Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

no 3rd gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tunedportk5, Nov 12, 2004.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

What could be wrong when going down freeway slow 45-50 and it was like it went into neultral so I put in 2nd and it got me home. It was in drive I never put it in overdrive and I just put in a trans temp gauge and it was only 180, and what realy sucks is I was driving back from the exhaust shop.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Could be the governor , but most likely it was just time to expire . I still wouldn't want any other auto in my DD/trail Blazer . If you are great with trucks , pull the cover and inspect the governor . Maybe do a search on 700r4 , it has come up a bunch in the last six months . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Also look at related I just found for you :

http://www.hotrodders.com/t48608.html
    http://www.s10planet.com/tech/the%20perfect%20shift.htm
    http://www.hotrodders.com/t44407.html

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

time for a rebuild, 3-4 cluthes are gone.

if it was the governer it would not upshift from 1st.

4. tunedportk5

thats bad news /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif how much does a rebuild cost if I remove the tranny

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i get $800 for a rebuild on a 700r4 with ALL the upgrades, shiftkit and new converter. there are some other places here that get $700 for a stock rebuild, but what ever you do get the upgrades, its worth it not to go threw it again for a long while.

6. tunedportk5

what kind of upgrades should I get, going to call some transmission shops tomarrow for some quotes.

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

heavy duty clutches, some kits have thinner clutches, so you can actually fit another in there (more holding power=good) corvette servo with servo upgrade that should come in some shift kits, new converter, of course the shift kit, new sprag, kevlar band.. thats all i can think of right now, im almost done doing all this to mine right now.. good luck..