Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

No accessory position???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 8, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Do all ignition's have an accessory position or do I have one of those rare ones where you have to run the truck to listen to the tunes? I have a '90 K5 with tilt and the "silverado" package. I can't turn the key backwards at all to where the acc. position should be. What gives? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be a bad iggy switch or a worn key cylinder. I'm fairly sure they all have an accessory position.

I just replaced both on our 88XJ (GM tilt column), not expensive but it was a bit of a pain. Oddly enough it cured a multitude of electrical type problems we were having. I guess the iggy switch was so corroded inside it was not feeding the computer reliable power 100% of the time. The last straw was when it only had head lights and brake lights and would start. That was all it would do...

The accessory position was also becoming more difficult to 'find' as it got progressively worse.

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '90 Sub didn't have an accessory position when I bought it. A new $17 lock cylinder and 30 minutes of my time later and it was working great. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Sounds about right to me. I know how "hard" it is to replace the cylinder since I had to do one before on my '86 K10. It would start w/ no key! That's how bad it was. Anyways, while I'm in there should I adjust the lock for my tilt? It has a tendancy to self adjust while I'm wheeling. I know there are some posts up about it already, can someone give me a link to one since I haven't had good luck searching? Thanks guys... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif